Menu

Books about ballet (non-fiction or otherwise) for almost 13 year old ballerina...

As a child I read Ballet Shoes over and over again, but really, more of that book deals with acting and family relationships. Dancing Shoes (same author, different name in England most likely) might be better... but possibly a little more "childish".

It's a whole series of 'shoes' books by the same author. There is Dancing Shoes, Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, Skating Shoes, Party Shoes, etc.

She is just a bit too old for the 'shoes' books, but she might like Ballet shoes anyway. It isn't about ballet really, but it is a sweet book.

If you go to the Amazon page for Misty Copeland Life in Motion, there are a few suggestions for other books.

http://smile.amazon.com/Life-Motion-Ballerina-Misty-Copeland/dp/1476737991/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454992488&sr=8-3&keywords=ballet+books

Does she have any interest in ballet movies? Has she seen First Position? Has she seen the Misty Copeland documentary on Netflix? My boys have liked those. My ballet dancing boys spend a lot of time just watching ballets. There are lots on youtube, and also streaming on Amazon prime. There is also a ballet themed TV series called "Bunheads" that I hear discussed at the ballet school. My kids haven't been interested in it though, so I know nothing about it beyond the name. It's off the air now, but some folks have it on DVD?

Often things about ballet are things to watch, not so much read because that way you can see the dancing.

• Like 2

Li Cunxin's autobiography, "Mao's Last Dancer," is good. It deals with politics and life in communist China, but a 13 year old should be fine with it, especially if she has studied modern history.

I do *not* recommend Gelsey Kirkland's autobiography, "Dancing on My Grave." There are *way* to many adult themes in that book for a 13 year old.

The "Random House Book of Stories from the Ballet" might be a bit young, but it tells the stories of several classical ballets if she isn't already familiar with them.

She would also probably be interested in the original "Nutcracker" story by E.T.A. Hoffmann. It has some very surprising differences from the ballet.

• Like 1

The Ballet Companion by Eliza Gaynor Minden

Dance Anatomy by Jacqui Haas (my dd is fascinated by physiology and biomechanics -- she got this for Christmas at about that age)

Lisa Howell's various blogs, youtube videos http://www.theballetblog.com/blog/

Inside Ballet Technique by Valerie Grieg ("Separating Anatomical Fact from Fiction in the Ballet Class")(again with the biomechanics)

Edited to Add:  Dancers Among Us by Jordan Matter

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

It's a whole series of 'shoes' books by the same author. There is Dancing Shoes, Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, Skating Shoes, Party Shoes, etc.

It's not actually a series. The "shoes" titles are the American titles, but they all have different names in the UK - White Boots, Curtain Up, Party Frock, Wintle's Wonders....

The only title that's "Shoes" in both countries is Ballet Shoes - which is a cut-down and rewritten version of an adult novel of hers, The Whicharts, which is now pretty darn hard to find. That's a much edgier book - to begin with, all the girls are illegitimate children of the character re-written as GUM, being raised by his long-suffering wife. And the endings they have are unhappier as well.

• Like 1