Menu

7th grade math woes

bluebonnetgirl

I am contemplating changing math curricula for my younger son.  He has been doing ACE math and doing well up until this year (7th).  (Other son is doing great with ACE math).  Younger so wants to know the why of everything and is having a hard time remembering the rules.  He likes to be able to logic it out and is my more verbal, literature loving kid.  I, myself did great with straight up rules based math, remembering the facts and the algorithms and it took me through college calculus and a master's degree in a science discipline.  But his brain is wired differently.  Now that we are entering the algebra phase where he has to manipulate different sides of the equation and remember all the rules, he is making silly mistakes, like erroneously using cancellation when adding fractions instead of finding the common denominator, forgetting to use cancellation when multiplying fractions and ending up with large impossible numbers, not understanding why you have to apply the inverse operation when you move a number to the other side of the equation, and forgetting that when you add a whole number to a decimal, you have to give the whole number a decimal and line up the decimals.  He is good with his basic multiplication and division facts and can do long division fine, and he generally gets long multiplication right, but I see he is not taking shortcuts when multiplying say .80 x 500 and instead doing it the long way adding columns of zeroes, versus just doing 8 x 5 and then adding the zeroes and applying the decimal.  He still seems to have a hard time understanding WHY in a word problem you multiply a number by a fraction and why the answer is smaller (versus larger) when you are multiplying.   The more advanced nature of 7th grade math, where there are numerous steps to solving a problem where all the pieces you learned have to come together are exposing his weaknesses.  He also keeps asking, do I really need this in real life? (algebra especially)

Last year, we did both ACE math and Teaching Textbooks, and he seemed to do better, but the day took so long.  I looked at CLE, but looking at their 5th grade diagnostic test exposed some areas he has not hit yet, like integers (they begin that in 7th grade ACE math, whereas they obviously introduce it in 5th grade CLE).  I loathe to start him all the way back at 5th or 6th CLE, since I need to get him ready to be in algebra by 9th and we are already half way through his 7th grade year.  He seems like he could benefit from the spiral method, as he need constant review as to not forget things.  He tires easily with many problems and I think becomes bored and distracted, thus making silly mistakes. I have looked at Life of Fred, and while the style seems like it would suit him, I am concerned he would not get enough practice and get too caught up in the story become and distracted by it.  Maybe LOF and Teaching Textbooks?  Or maybe ACE and LOF?  I want to make sure he is ready for 9th grade Algebra and I only have a year and a half to do that.  He definitely wants to go to college, although it will not be a math or science discipline, but something in the visual arts.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Edited by nightgalaxy

I can understand your struggle. I have a 7th grade dd who is struggling in math as well. For me though, it started at the beginning of the school year when I realized she was a different learner than my other math loving kid and I needed to switch up! We have LOF and we have used several other math programs. I am debating between putting her in either ACE or CLE. The difference I'm finding an issue with is the level she would be at as well as the different teaching approaches. I know she wouldn't mind if I told her it's just a series number and not a grade level. I really think that CLE lets them think deeper and is able to get them farther in math if they are kids who can't just go off of rules. I have one child who can do the ACE math and excels greatly since she's a rules kid. My 7th grader needs the CLE approach but she would be starting way back in the 500 series! I can relate to your hesitation. I however have decided that we wills start back there and we will do math through the summer so we can get her closer to being ready for Algebra come 9th grade! 

I'm sorry I just babbled and potentially didn't even help! Just know I'm in a similar situation!

Mamaofblessings,

Thank you for your reply.  How do you like Life of Fred?  I am also looking at Rod and Staff.  My worry with CLE is that they are so spiral that many concepts are taught in earlier grades that would not normally be taught until later. so it will wind up creating more frustration.  

I am going to post on the middle school subforum to see if we can get some input there.

Thanks!

I too understand the struggle with Math in 7th Grade. I ended up having my DD take a placement test for Math Mammoth Light Blue Series and we are transitioning to that. I am new to homeschooling and I got the suggestion for Math Mammoth from here when I was considering using Singapore Math. I really like how the concepts are explained and from flipping through the book, I think it will help solidify number sense and seal up the holes that we found that she had. Even though she's in 7th - I had her take the 5th Grade end of year test to start. Hope this helps.

IMO all the 'silly mistakes' you cited are in fact conceptual errors.  So, it may be that his arithmetic foundation is weak, which causes him difficulties and thus defaulting to the standard 'this sucks I hate doing this why do I need this' response.

Even though an algorithm-based approach obviously worked for you and appears to be working for your other son, my recommendation would be to reassess your younger's true level of conceptual understanding.  It is very good he wants to know the Why Of It, rather than just 'do this, do that, answer here.', and I think it is a clear signal that a different approach is needed.

silly mistakes, like erroneously using cancellation when adding fractions instead of finding the common denominator, forgetting to use cancellation when multiplying fractions and ending up with large impossible numbers, not understanding why you have to apply the inverse operation when you move a number to the other side of the equation, and forgetting that when you add a whole number to a decimal, you have to give the whole number a decimal and line up the decimals.  He is good with his basic multiplication and division facts and can do long division fine, and he generally gets long multiplication right, but I see he is not taking shortcuts when multiplying say .80 x 500 and instead doing it the long way adding columns of zeroes, versus just doing 8 x 5 and then adding the zeroes and applying the decimal.  He still seems to have a hard time understanding WHY in a word problem you multiply a number by a fraction and why the answer is smaller (versus larger) when you are multiplying.   The more advanced nature of 7th grade math, where there are numerous steps to solving a problem where all the pieces you learned have to come together are exposing his weaknesses.  He also keeps asking, do I really need this in real life? (algebra especially)

• Like 1

How do you plan to proceed? Pressing forward only, or is some backtracking OK?

I admit to knowing nothing about ACE. It very well could be a principles based approach. In any case, Singapore and MEP are highly regarded. Singapore middle levels may be hard without prior exposure.

AOPS is good also but is generally seen as a more challenging program (both format and content).

My preference would be to continue the 7th grade ACE program and finish it out (at the rate he is going, it will likely not be until the end of summer), and supplement with a program designed to shore up foundational skills.  For the later, I am thinking about Learn Math Fast.  

Edited by nightgalaxy

We all enjoyed LOF. Sadly, I was so focused on the fact that they didn't have any actual worksheets that I stopped using it. I'm not happy that I did though, it was working! I will more than likely use it starting back up this weekend until our new stuff comes in. 

I am using CLE with my 1st grader and the concepts he's learning just in 1st grade blows my mind! I regret not finding them sooner for my girls!! I have no SHAME in starting them back in the 300 series so they can learn the skills needed for the upper series. I think that's the biggest hurdle I will end up jumping with myself, starting back at 300. I've got them both working on a diagnostic test for ACE math and hoping that after that I can get the diagnostic test results and have a better placement idea for CLE as well before having them do that diagnostic test. I like ACE math from what I've seen and I am so torn between those two. I'm still swirling them both around for Math. Wish I had a more clear answer on which to use. CLE seems so simple and well done. I will keep CLE for my ds for sure. 

I haven't seen R&S math at all. We've used their English and Spelling though. We ended up dropping it to switch to CLE. 

Mamaofblessings,

Thank you for your reply.  How do you like Life of Fred?  I am also looking at Rod and Staff.  My worry with CLE is that they are so spiral that many concepts are taught in earlier grades that would not normally be taught until later. so it will wind up creating more frustration.  

I am going to post on the middle school subforum to see if we can get some input there.

Thanks!

I think I am going to order CLE 601 Math and see how ds works through that LU and proceed from there.  In the meantime, plan on continuing ACE Math through 7th grade, and supplement with Khan Academy videos as needed.  The thing I like about CLE is the review, and ds needs that.  Hopefully, next year he can switch to CLE.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to follow up on my original message and thank everyone for their help.  I wound up switching my younger  math-struggling son in February to  CLE 6th grade Math.  He started with LU 602 and he is now doing LU 608 and will finish it this summer.  I dropped ACE 7th grade math for him as it was just too challenging for him.  I think it was too challenging for him because this son is not one to read directions or examples carefully.  He often impulsively moves through instruction too quickly without making sure he has understood.  But now he is "forced" by CLE to continually review concepts and processes so his impulsivity stays in check.  Yes, he still makes careless errors with CLE, but he has to correct them everyday and will see them over and over again in spiral review, versus moving on, so eventually he "gets" it.    I also had him finish Teaching Textbooks 7 but have to watch him that he doesn't try to skip the lecture, and that he works through the problems on paper and not in his head.  Using CLE 6 and Teaching Textbooks 7 (with supervision) seems to have really been a good solution for him.  He is really appreciating the spiral review of CLE Math.  This fall he will start CLE 7th Math and hopefully be able to finish it by spring, and at least do at least some of 8th grade CLE Math by the end of next summer.  Next fall the plan is for him to enroll in Jan in Texas's Algebra class for 9th grade and continue high school math with her.  I pray this is a good plan for him!  I think he will benefit from a live teacher and tutoring if necessary.

My other son continues to do very well with ACE 7th grade Math and is almost finished.  I think the reason ACE has worked for him is that he is very detail oriented, he reads things and studies examples carefully for understanding and is a perfectionist.  So once he learns something, he does not easily forget it.   He cannot stand to make errors!   The ACE Math paces are not too wordy, but very clear, and written to the student, with pictures  and good examples throughout.  He needs the mastery of ACE to really learn it.  The slim paces are so not overwhelming and give him a nice sense of accomplishment after completing one.  I just love how ACE Math is laid out for him so clearly.  I don't know about earlier editions, but the 4th edition is so clear and user friendly.  For him as well, I use Teaching Textooks for extra practice and reinforcement.  ACE 7th Math and Teaching Textbooks 7 seem to complement each other well.  Teaching Textbooks alone would not be enough practice for either of my kids.   But I really do love Teaching Textbooks as a very solid and fun supplement.  For him, I will likely have him continue 8th grade ACE math along with TT Prealgebra.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 4

Sounds great!  So glad you found something that works.  If you want to cover all of the 800 series in a limited time frame you might skip 801 if he is solid through the 700s, skip the quizzes in 800 and combine lessons.  He could do the new material from two lessons and the review from the second lesson (example: 802 Day 1: Lesson 1 New material/Lesson 2 New material and review material.  Day 2: Lesson 3 New Material/Lesson 4 New and review material.  Day 3: Lesson 6 New material (skip Lesson 5 since it is a quiz)/Lesson 7 New and review material.  Day 4: Lesson 8 New material/Lesson 9 New and Review.  Day 5 Lesson 11 New/Lesson 12 New and Review (skip Lesson 10 quiz). Day 6: Lesson 13 new material/Lesson 14 new material/Lesson 15 New and review material.  Day 7: test.  Day 8: Move to next light unit or review anything that was missed on the test.  With this schedule level 800 could be completed in a little over 60 days.