Menu

Writing Curriculum

Before I finalize this year's curriculum I realize that I'm stuck with what to do about writing for my 9th/10th grader.  Severely dyslexic but reading on grade level and, of course, dysgraphic.  I used Write Foundation last year which was good and I could go forward from there but not sold on that idea just year.  I'm one that leans towards later to write, as in now, just before college, versus a long strung out writing process that drags on for years.  We are working on typing skills and actually Write Foundation encourages typing the assignments so that has worked well.

What I need is a program/workbook, something that tells me what to say/do to lead him through the process of sentence to paragraph.  Next year I'll work on putting it all together or at least by the end of the year. The process of teaching my kids to write has been fun, fun, fun, NOT but my dd (another dyslexic) made As in her English courses and I didn't focus on the writing until the 11/12 grade year (I find better memory retention).  This particular child needs repetitive (like MUS for math) type assignments.

I'm not hung up on grade level - I meet at their level and I don't worry about transcript/high school level, etc.....

Any ideas?

And why, why do I wish I could just order a Sonlight program and have him read, read and read to get strong, strong, strong - but know this would probably not be a good idea?

I don't see a problem with SL if you get him the books on audio or with immersion reading.  You could even do the OCR scan of the SL tm and let VoiceDream read him the notes.

I definitely think the language they're reading (ear reading or eye reading) affects their writing, so if that's what you want to do, to up the level of what he's reading, that would probably definitely have an effect.  Certainly that's what the local tutor told me their greatest concern is, the lack of language input due to spending less years and less time reading.  

Does he have any adult level materials he would enjoy ear-reading?  My dd has enjoyed the Best Essay books the last few years.  They come out on all kinds of themes.  The Science & Nature volumes are particularly good.  You could broach writing as a response to intriguing readings.  Response writings are pretty common in high school, certainly in college, now.  

He might even like to go a different direction and enter a contest like National History Day, do one BIG project instead of a bunch of dinky ones.  That would be tons of writing, but it would be about a topic he's fascinated about.  He'd do an annotated bibliography and write things to go with his project (documentary, skit, display board, whatever).  Even though it gets in lots of writing, it's always in manageable chunks, and they have the flexibility to do it on something they're passionate about.  Look it up.   :)

PS.  Most people would say to use MUS or Diana King or whatever.  I haven't used them so I can't say that.  Projects and contests and writing with meaning might fit your delayed, stronger later approach.  :)

Funny, I was actually going to suggest the Writing Skill series by Diana King. I don't know if it would work for you, but it does teach a progression from sentence to paragraph to multi-paragraph writing (traditional five paragraph essay model) in a workbook format. At the back of the book are many writing prompts, so that you can use the skills taught to write about other topics.

DD13 is not a strong writer (though not dyslexic) and has been using the level meant for 5/6 grade and will move on to the next book (meant for 7/8, I think) when she finishes that. And the next step up is high school level. So you could work through them quickly and get up to whatever they consider a high school level without spending tons of time on the lower levels. Each book could be completed in less than a year.

I like having this kind of workbook to give us some structure, but I like to add additional writing as well. Because the workbooks aren't long enough to take up an entire school year, it gives us some flexibility to add things in.

DD10 (dyslexic) used part of the lower level (A, I think) this year, and it was good practice for her, although her writing skills have not necessarily matured much. But she's very young (third grade last year) and has a long way to go with remediation for the dyslexia. We started it partway through the school year and didn't get all the way to the end yet, so I wouldn't say the program has advanced her skills or hindered her. It has, though, definitely given her structure and support for the writing process, which she needs.

Would the Paragraph Series books from EPS be too young your dc? It's typically a program that's used for remediation for middle schoolers. What caught my eye in it's description is that it seems to work on revision a lot, as in write a basic paragraph and then go back to it and revise it into a strong final product. That aspect of it makes me think older students could benefit, too, by just working at their level.

I was looking at used copies they have on Amazon for very low prices. Since I've been doing a lot of planning and then re-thinking lately I've bought some cheap resources that way to check out before make a final decision.

• Like 1

My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic among other things.  We've had a hard time with writing.  One thing that helped is narration.  And this year, we are using Essentials in Writing and he really, really likes it.  It's broken down into small steps and can move as fast or slow as needed.  The lessons are on DVD and in the book.  Is it exactly what I'd prefer, no, but its working and he likes it.  Done!  Just an option to check out.

Good luck,

Thanks to all.  I'll have to look over these options.  I spent yesterday driving myself over the edge of the cliff at the Sonlight website trying to figure out what might be a viable option but not entirely sure - must weigh pros/cons and Cost (my least favorite).  My dd used Essentials in 12th - although we didn't finish it but it certainly was enough to have her well-prepared so perhaps I need to look at that a bit more at a younger level and build up from there.  He just totally shuts down when asked to write, unless he is writing his ongoing story in his Spelling U See book.  That he writes and willingly I might add.

I wish more times than not that we could just be the family that orders the "next grade up" curriculum but each year is met with new challenges, growth and sometimes regression so just not always the option.  Oh well.  I guess it keeps me challenged and on my toes.