Menu

EdX - Baseball

My son and I are going to be doing the baseball analytics class at EdX over the next few months.

I think it'll be a drinking-from-the-fire-hydrant experience, but I think he's at the point where he'll be able to keep his mouth open. He's got a good understanding of statistics and probability, and has been talking about a baseball analytics science fair-type project with his dad, so we're going to dive in.

Just wanted to let you know about it in case anyone else was interested in this topic!

Emily

I signed up my name. 

My son is 10, but my husband's field is astrophysics and specifically big data sets and statistics (he teaches astrostatistics and researches with a stats prof) so it is a common topic of conversation at our home. It certainly will be a stretch.

I think our interaction will be within the family.

Oh! Thank you so much for posting this! My son would love to take an online sabermetrics course...he has dabbled in it on his own for years and LOVES statistics, so this is a great little choice to give his senior year some umpphhh. :-)

Just asked him as he walked through and his was response was Sign Me Up! Sign Me Up!! 

We're going to give it a try. Ds11 loved and learned a tremendous amount from the MIT Aerospace Engineering class without getting all the math, so I think he'll learn a lot from this one too. My background is in databases so I'm excited about learning that end. In our house, if it's baseball, it's good.