Menu

CogAT Results Are In...

Not worried about them per se but there's a little discrepancy between verbal/nonverbal and quantitative.  (That sentence seems confusing--very strong in verbal and nonverbal; quantitative is lower.)  It's not HUGE but enough to be a stanine difference.

My concern is not that there's a difference but that I don't really remember what is ON the quantitative part.  I played by the rules and didn't look at any of ds's answers when he finished, so I don't have a clue what he missed. 

Can anyone give me any direction?  I've Googled but I cannot find exactly what I want. I guess I want to know what is covered on that section and if there are things I can do to help him understand the processes better next time.

FWIW, he took Test C (5th grade) at age 10.

The quantitative covers quantitative relations, number series, and equation building.

I'm curious where you found the rule not to look at the students answers.  I'm not aware of such a thing.  I find that to be the most valuable part of the test.  When I used to give standardized tests (not academic ones) in schools, the scores were helpful in determining if a child qualified for a certain program.  But in order to determine the student's strengths and weaknesses, looking at what was missed was key.   

The quantitative covers quantitative relations, number series, and equation building.

I'm curious where you found the rule not to look at the students answers.  I'm not aware of such a thing.  I find that to be the most valuable part of the test.  When I used to give standardized tests (not academic ones) in schools, the scores were helpful in determining if a child qualified for a certain program.  But in order to determine the student's strengths and weaknesses, looking at what was missed was key.   

Thank you.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I was a teacher before, and we were always told not to look at anyone's answers. Close the test booklets, send them to the office so I just assumed that was the "rule." :) 

I agree that it seems to be helpful knowing what was missed! Maybe I'll just know better for next year!

It actually does say this in the instructions somewhere--don't look at the test itself, don't look at the answers, don't talk to the student about the answers or any other aspect of the test, that sort of thing.

That said, I agree with you--I find that observing my student's demeanor when taking the test (Is the subtest stressing him out?  Is he pressed for time?  Does he breeze through it?) as well as looking at the actual test items and the pattern of errors is incredibly valuable.  In fact, the test would have essentially no value to me without that.

• Like 1

It actually does say this in the instructions somewhere--don't look at the test itself, don't look at the answers, don't talk to the student about the answers or any other aspect of the test, that sort of thing.

That said, I agree with you--I find that observing my student's demeanor when taking the test (Is the subtest stressing him out?  Is he pressed for time?  Does he breeze through it?) as well as looking at the actual test items and the pattern of errors is incredibly valuable.  In fact, the test would have essentially no value to me without that.

I'm glad that you were familiar with that wording and that I didn't make it up! :)

DS wasn't at all stressed or concerned about most of it--he did get stuck on one and I did look at it (offered no help, of course) but it was a very tricky thing with dots and circles! If we use this one again, perhaps I'll just take a better look so I'll have more information.

Do I understand correctly that this was a test you were allowed to administer at home and then submit for grading? I'm unfamiliar with this test, so any background would be helpful.

Thanks

It is. The CogAT is Cognitive Abilities Test.  I didn't use it as our main test for the state (used the Stanford 10), but I used it more to see his problem solving abilities.  I ordered from Seton: http://www.setontesting.com/cogat/

A little practice beforehand is helpful.

Doesn't that somewhat go against the idea of a "Cognitive Abilities Test" since they are already grade leveled.  You want to learn their "natural" abilities versus the general population.

My son took this in 7th grade to get into the G&T program at his charter school.