Menu

Online or video grammar programs

I am looking for an online or DVD grammar program for 6th grade. My daughter (currently in 5th grade) has used R&S English from 2nd-5th, and while I love R&S English for her older sister, I think my younger daughter would do much better with an online or DVD course. She intensely dislikes direct instruction from me, so we butt heads rather often while I am teaching her English. She understands the material (grammar and writing are actually two of her strengths, she loves rules and she is extremely creative) and does not need a remedial program, I just don't want to argue with her every. single. day. I know that could just hand her the R&S textbook and tell her to have at it, but she does not learn well from reading; she needs oral instruction (she is very much an auditory learner). She cannot learn the material just from reading the textbook, so self-teaching workbook programs like CLE are out. She does very well with the video lessons in Math-U-See and First Form Latin, so I wondered if there were grammar programs on video or online English classes that anyone could recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently using Grammar Revolution's Get Smart Grammar.  It teaches the parts of speech and diagramming well.  But it is just that- parts of speech and diagramming.  I add my own commentary as to why knowing the information is important. ;)  PLATO has full language arts programs available.  For high school the lessons are in an interactive textbook format- the student reads various information and then is prompted to respond to questions in a tutorial.  The tutorial is followed up by application exercises and quizzes/tests. 

We just completed Grammar Revolution, and it solidified DD's grammar and diagramming but I agree that there is a lot it doesn't do. It's not complete on its own but it was what we needed for diagramming.

To be fair, though, it's much more than just parts of speech. She also covers direct/indirect objects, predicate nouns/adj, types of verbs, functions of nouns, phrases, clauses, verbals and probably more stuff I can't remember.

Parts of speech only implies (to me) just the basic noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, interjection.

Hmm, Grammar Revolution looks like it might work. It appears to cover grammar to the same depth that R&S 6 does, which is what I was hoping for. My daughter really likes the gal in the videos...she is a bit like a grown-up version of my daughter, lol.

I am ok with the course being strictly grammar; we have writing covered with Writing & Rhetoric, vocab covered with Latin, and we do our own thing for literature.

Woohoo, I think we have a plan!

ETA: And it is on sale at HSBC for $70...score!