Menu

Camera/photography buffs please chime in

TwoEdgedSword

I've been wanting a good camera for years. My primary shots would be the kids action shots in Varsity basketball and lots of good pics of the littles growing up. Also nature pics and our farm life. I want a Canon.

This one just came up on sale and it's reg. $800, now $449. I have held off for y.e.a.r.s. because I wanted a good one and it's time.

It's a CanonT5 DSLR Bundle...includes T5 camera, 18-55mm lense, 75-300mm zoom lense, 8GB SD card and bag.

This is several birthday and Christmas year gifts rolled into one, so I want to do this right.

Is this a good one? Will it meet those needs? Should I grab it or look at another?

Thanks.

The link shows it's an EOS Rebel. The newspaper didn't mention that.

http://www.target.com/p/canon-eos-rebel-t5-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-and-75-300mm-lenses-memory-card-and-bag-black-9126b057/-/A-16602320#prodSlot=large_1_16&term=Canon

I also have a vision (although it could be totally misguided;-)) of one day decorating our home's walls with nature shots from outside our home.

I am not a Canon expert, so I won't speak to the specific camera.  

But you should look for an ISO of up to at least 1600, and the lenses need to open to at least f2.8 if you are going to get good action shots of varsity basketball and good portraits.  The lens lengths on this offer are good, but there are different quality levels on lenses and the "kit" lenses are generally not very good.  

If I were buying a camera, I would go to a reputable camera store and get a used one.  And get the lenses you wnat for the kind of shots you will be making.  We got our Nikon 7100 for $900 when they were selling new for $1500.  That difference is the equivalent of one GOOD lens...and it will last forever...even if we have to replace the camera body because of new technology.  

I would guess that this camera body is an older generation for Canon, and that might be OK, but you might want to look at the size of the sensor (it won't be full frame but you wnat the next size down--DX in Nikon talk).  The body is important, but it will probably be replaced sooner than GOOD lenses.  Kit lenses are not very satisfactory if you really get into it.  

Not meaning to be a bummer...but you asked.  :0)  

Also, I want to add that I am not a Nikon Fanatic.  Canon and Nikon both make great products.  I just happen to have fallen in the Nikon camp because it was what my DH got and we can share lenses that way.  :0)  (I'm actually a Sony girl...by experience....but am learning the Nikon ropes now.)

I don't know Canon's, but thought I would this advice.  We have bought cameras from Ritz or Wolf (they are associated with each other).  I had a problem with a Nikon almost a year after I bought it.  It was eating batteries.  They took it back and handed me a new one.  Also if you are wanting action shots of games you might want to seriously look at getting either a monopod or a tripod.  You can not keep a long lens from shaking without one.