Menu

Is Saxon Advanced Math equivalent to Pre-Calculus?

Well according to the Art Reed videos, I think it's something like: Lessons 1-90 in the Advanced Math book is Trig./Geometry/Adv. Alg. Then for Pre-Calculus, go back to lesson 60 of the Advanced Math Text, finish the text, then complete the first 25 lessons in the Calculus book. That would be considered Pre-Calculus. Then you would finish the Calculus book as the Calculus course.

On saying all that, my son did the 1-90 lessons in the Advanced Math book last year as a sophomore. This year as a junior, he's enrolled at the community college for his math courses. He placed at the Pre-Calculus level, is currently taking it, but says he hasn't learned anything new. Next semester he'll take Calculus I.

Yes and yes.  The lessons will take longer to complete than Algebra 2, so some students take two years to complete the text.  I'm guessing that it's for those students that it's recommended that they repeat some lessons.  If the student is just working through it in a year, there's obviously no need to do that, but the lessons may take about 2 hours or so a day.  I think it's fairly typical to take 3 semesters to complete the text.  Upon completion, the student should be well prepared for Calculus I, either Saxon's or a college course.

Yes and yes.  The lessons will take longer to complete than Algebra 2, so some students take two years to complete the text.  I'm guessing that it's for those students that it's recommended that they repeat some lessons.  If the student is just working through it in a year, there's obviously no need to do that, but the lessons may take about 2 hours or so a day.  I think it's fairly typical to take 3 semesters to complete the text.  Upon completion, the student should be well prepared for Calculus I, either Saxon's or a college course.

Yes, it's looking like 16-18 months total for my oldest.  We did take some breaks here and there, but he'll probably finish in May or so of this year (12th grade).