Menu

Results from Speech/Language Evaluation

Here are the results of my DD's evaluation.  Any thoughts, curricula suggestions? We are using LOE Essentials for spelling.  She is not translating the knowledge to spelling but she has had improvement in reading.  We are using WWE1 and she cannot answer the questions unless I break the passages into three parts asking one or two questions at a time.  Her retention of anything read to her is very poor. Her vocabulary is very immature.  She didn't know what the word palm meant the other day.  She was reading and she came to a part which read, don't look at that picture with a full stomach, and she had no idea what that meant. I am teaching her about Columbus and from day to day she remembers close to nothing.  The same applies to basic science.  She is doing fairly well with CLE2.  She struggles with basic word problems.  Does this sound like an auditory processing disorder? *sigh* :( 

Expressive Language (Word Classes 1 Expressive Subtest - CELF-4)

Scaled Score - 10, Age Equivalent -7 years 6 months (chronological age - 8 years, 4 months)

Severity Level: Mild

Receptive Language (same test as above but receptive)

same score as above

Total Receptive and Expressive Language Scores: Scaled Score 17, same age equivalent as above

Notes: S (dd) yawned throughout the evaluation and when asked if she was tired she responded yes.  It is notable that very often children who manifest auditory/language processing difficulties become fatigued during tasks which require listening/auditory directions.

Severity Level: Mild

SCAN C Test for Auditory Processing Disorders in Children was administered. Her Composite Standard Score : 78 (mean 100) %ile 7. Borderline Disordered Range. She also performed in the borderline disordered range on the Filtered Words subtest and the Auditory Figure-Ground subtest. The Auditory Figure-Ground subtest borderline performance reflects difficulties in understanding speech in the presence of competing background noise.  An audiological auditory processing evaluation is recommended. 

Articulation/Phonological Development - Goldman Fristoe Test of Articulation

No articulation errors were noted.  Criterion score overall was WNL but she had difficulty detecting rhymes and sentence segmentation.

Summary: (just including the pertinent information here)

She is functioning approximately 1 yeear below age level relative to overall language and decoding. Audiological Auditory Processing Assessment recommended along with therapy to improve reading recognition and comprehension skills. The CELF-4 complete language evaluation should be administered.  

Diagnosis: Language and Reading Impairment/possible auditory processing disorder

Recommended therapy 2x per week. 

Therapy goals:

DD will define 10 age/grade vocabulary words with 70% accuracy

Recognize 10 rhyming pairs with 100% accuracy

Correctly segment 10 sentences with 100% accuracy

Read and answer 10 age/grade level comprehension/language content questions with 70% accuracy

Therapy revisions will be added if Auditory Processing Disorder diagnosis is made. 

If you have made it this far, thank you very much!

Earobics and Hearbuilders are both supposed to be good for helping with auditory processing. FastForWord as well but that would be done through a SLP rather than something you could purchase to use at home.

The director at the Scottish Rite Clinic where I'm trying to get my little one in for treatment said that they often start kids in the Interactive Metronome before moving on to FFW. I'm not all that familiar with IM but I've heard there are low/no cost apps if you wanted to try it.

What you might do is ask the SLP how you can carry over the therapy at home and what kinds of skills to focus on.  You're with her all the time, so you can weave the goals into your school work if she'll show you what/how.  As she starts therapy, see if she'll let you sit in on the lessons so you can see what they're working on, how they work on it, and then carry it over to her academics.  

A mom who WANTS to sit in on the lessons and help carry it over at home is NOT the norm.  Don't be bashful about pushing for this.  You can sit in the corner of the room quietly and observe and take notes.  I keep a therapy notebook for my ds and have done this for years.  It isn't the *norm* for a mom to be that involved, but it makes for better therapy.  

Former SLP here...

Maybe something like http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10276 for phonemic awareness.  This might be good for vocabulary http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10117 or http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10323.  

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10377 or http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10319 might be good for reading comprehension.

Whatever you do, I'd check with your SLP before you purchase something to see if she thinks it will be a good fit.

Earobics and Hearbuilders are both supposed to be good for helping with auditory processing. FastForWord as well but that would be done through a SLP rather than something you could purchase to use at home.

The director at the Scottish Rite Clinic where I'm trying to get my little one in for treatment said that they often start kids in the Interactive Metronome before moving on to FFW. I'm not all that familiar with IM but I've heard there are low/no cost apps if you wanted to try it.

Gemm Learning offers a "Supported" Fast ForWord that you can use at home.. I'd highly recommend that.  FFW is an excellent program.  Earobics and Hearbuilder are great TOO.