Menu

1st grade math - which program, how long?

weintz8

I've always used saxon 1,2 and 3 and I've been happy with it, but now that I have so many "students", I'm finding that it takes waayyy too long.  

So- what program do you use for 1st grade math and how long does it take you to do an entire lesson each day?

Rod and Staff. takes 20 minutes, if that. Love those ducks in the 2nd edition.

CLE is also good but ramps up fast!! Better to start 100 in 2nd after R&S 1, I have found.

I would use those 3+ years and grades experience with teaching Saxon primary levels to wing it with my 1st grader.

Use the manipulatives from Saxon and just give him 20-30 minutes of my time to do a math activity with him a few times a week. Once he is comfortable with counting and understands the concepts of addition and subtraction, I would make sure that he was learning (and reviewing) his math facts every day.

Two + Two is NOT Five is one option, a couple of 1st and 2nd grade math workbooks from the walmart are another.

Reevaluate every month or so as to whether or not it is working.

Rod and Staff 1 is my favorite introductory math text. I look forward to doing that book again when my little guy is ready. It's a great, gentle introduction to the subject, and DC will be rock solid on the 1-10 facts when they're done.

Kid #1: Math Mammoth - 20 minutes (he was accelerating through it at the time)

Kid #2: Singapore 1 at K age - 20 minutes

Kid #3: CLE Math 100 at K age - 20-30 minutes, depending on his mood (he really likes it though, because it's mostly independent)