Menu

Franklin and Marshall

Karenciavo

Anyone know anything about Franklin and Marshall physics department? Very early investigation into schools for youngest ds so we can plan his high school years. His area of interest is theoretical physics. Unfortunately this kid has liberal arts and artist/musician parents. We're pretty much clueless.  :001_unsure:

Students get free music lessons even if they don't major or minor in music!   Free study abroad the summer after they graduate if they didn't already do a semester abroad.  Free printing and laundry too, I think.   Best suggestion I can give is to do a visit when classes are in session, and specifically ask admissions to arrange for a chat with someone in the physics department.  Not sure if they'd be hesitant due to his age, but they seemed fairly accommodating.  Maybe you could email some questions to admissions and they could find out for you and get back to you.   Hopefully someone here will be better able to answer the question you asked.  :tongue_smilie:

Hope I have this straight.

My (radically unschooled) niece graduated from F&M a year ago with a degree in Environmental Science.  She is now in the PHD program at U of Arizona.   My sister has nothing but rave reviews for F&M. 

That's all I know.

ETA:  She was involved in lots of research projects during undergrad.

Franklin & Marshall gets good reviews overall here.  We've had students go there and go on to do quite well with their futures.  The only tie to Physics I can think of is the sig other of one of the temp workers at school who was an alumni and loved the school.  S/he said the dept was small, but quite good and at the time, he (her sig other) was looking to get accepted to a prestigious grad program.  He wasn't sure if he would since he wasn't the highest grad in the dept (was 2nd best).  He got in.  If my memory were better I could even tell you which school, but all I remember is he was trying for a few (maybe 4?) and got his top choice.

The one thing that kept middle son from applying to F & M is they no longer give out merit aid - unless they've reverted back from a couple of years ago.

I know in the past (when ds was searching), F&M was one of the schools with a large portion of the freshman class composed of those who applied binding Early Decision. I don't know if it's still that way.

Neither ds nor dd applied---not a good fit size-wise for ds and major/activity-wise for dd.