Menu

List of short stories

Does anyone have a list of good short stories for 8th/9th grade level?  

We're just finishing Windows to the World with a little group and we'd like to read some short stories for the rest of the year. I saw a list somewhere on the boards with a list of short stories by literary element... irony, symbolism, etc.... but I can't find it anywhere!

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
yvonne

ETA: Found the post! But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I also started working on a short story list last night. I started by looking at the thread you referenced. I cross-referenced those three lists, looked online at some other stuff, tossed in some ones I wanted to include. At this point, I think I need some help trimming and polishing- deciding which ones will work best. Like I said, I just started, but here is my very rough, first draft:

1. The lady or the tiger (Stocken)
2. Story without An End (Twain)
3. The remarkable rocket (Wilde)
4. Celebrated jumping frog (Twain)
5. The secret life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)
6. The redheaded league (Doyle)
7. The last leaf (o Henry)
8. The Cask of Admontillado (Poe)
9. To build a fire (London)
10. Thank You, M'am (Hughes)
11. Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling)
12. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Irving)
13. The Tell-Tale Heart (Poe)
14. The Lottery (Jackson)
15. Gift of the Magi (O Henry)
16. Flowers for Algernon (Keyes)
17. The Necklace (Guy de Maupassant)
18. Tobermory (Saki/ HH Munro)
19. Wish You Were Here (Frank Jones)
20. The Wish (Dahl)
21. The Night the Ghost Got In (Thurber)
22. The most dangerous game (Connell)
23. Harrison Bergeron (Vonnegut)
24. The Ransom of Red Chief (O Henry)
25. There Will Come Soft Rains (Bradbury)
26. Hearts and Hands (O Henry)
27. Miss Awful (Cavanaugh)
28. Charles (Jackson)
29. The Moustache (Cormier)
30. Young Goodman Brown (Hawthorne)
31. The Sniper (O'Flaherty)
32. The Resurrection of a Life (William Saroyan) *contains stream of consciousness passages

Wow, Mandy! Thank you for posting your list! 

Have you read all of these already, or are you still in the listing phase? 

I haven't looked at the Implications of Literature text before. The preview looked good, but it's a little pricey to order just to look at. Are you planning to use it? 

I have not read 1-4 to the best of my recollection. I trust the combined judement of Lori D and Rose, but I will definitely read them this week. I have not read 27-32 other than summaries. I chose a different Saki than Lori or Rose, but they are all good.
HTH-
Mandy

I am not getting Implications in Literature. I looked at it for a friend. I am trying to decide if I want to do a short story every week or every other week with non-fiction every other week. I guess I also need to decide what literary terms I want to cover. I just don't know what I am doing yet, but I did want a list at hand.
HTH-
Mandy

I have not read 1-4 to the best of my recollection. I trust the combined judement of Lori D and Rose, but I will definitely read them this week. I have not read 27-32 other than summaries. I chose a different Saki than Lori or Rose, but they are all good.
HTH-
Mandy

Oh geez, that makes me nervous! Do know that I haven't pre-read all the stories on my list, it's a list I've gathered from other posters and sources.  I do pre-read stories before I do them with the kids, but not before I post them here! So use at your own risk . . . 

I am pretty protective about the content of novels I assign for independent reading, especially when they are about real historical events, but I am much more willing to read a "shocking" short story, when we read it together and discuss it.  I can still remember the impact on me of reading stories like The Lottery, The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, Sunrise on the Veldt, The Dangerous Game, and others . . . and I think that these shocking endings, twists, etc. have a totally different emotional impact at the end of a one-sitting short story vs. a novel you've been reading for weeks.  

I'm just saying that to explain that I do have a different filter-level for short stories than for historical fiction.  I think any kid could read Shannon's fiction list from this year without running into trouble, but we do get more edgy with short stories.

Oh geez, that makes me nervous! Do know that I haven't pre-read all the stories on my list, it's a list I've gathered from other posters and sources. I do pre-read stories before I do them with the kids, but not before I post them here! So use at your own risk . . .

I am pretty protective about the content of novels I assign for independent reading, especially when they are about real historical events, but I am much more willing to read a "shocking" short story, when we read it together and discuss it. I can still remember the impact on me of reading stories like The Lottery, The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, Sunrise on the Veldt, The Dangerous Game, and others . . . and I think that these shocking endings, twists, etc. have a totally different emotional impact at the end of a one-sitting short story vs. a novel you've been reading for weeks.

I'm just saying that to explain that I do have a different filter-level for short stories than for historical fiction. I think any kid could read Shannon's fiction list from this year without running into trouble, but we do get more edgy with short stories.

I will keep this in mind. :) Notice I only chose one Bradbury- the same one as Lori D. I refuse to do the Veldt! We read All Summer in a Day by Bradbury this year and it was upsetting for both Doodle and me. The emotions of the children in Bradbury's stories are horror worthy. OTOH- I really, really want to do The Lottery. So, go figure. I know what you're saying about hitting those topics in a short story together in one sitting rather than in alone in a longer work.

Are you going to try to do a short story every week? Are you going to also read some short non-fiction? If so, do you have a list for that?
Mandy

I will keep this in mind. :) Notice I only chose one Bradbury- the same one as Lori D. I refuse to do the Veldt! We read All Summer in a Day by Bradbury this year and it was upsetting for both Doodle and me. The emotions of the children in Bradbury's stories are horror worthy. OTOH- I really, really want to do The Lottery. So, go figure. I know what you're saying about hitting those topics in a short story together in one sitting rather than in alone in a longer work.

Are you going to try to do a short story every week? Are you going to also read some short non-fiction? If so, do you have a list for that?
Mandy

I have been reading short stories with my 9th and 12th graders all year.   I would not do this with my younger kids b/c some of very disturbing.   My 9th grader found The Veldt very disturbing.   Ironically, shortly after we read it, we read a portion of The Man-Eaters of Tsavo......made it even more disturbing since that is true story!

Yeah, I don't think I'll do the Veldt with my kids either . . . . and I just read Harrison Bergeron last night and am kind of  :confused1: about doing that one too . . . Luckily, these are easy to pre-read!

I don't know exactly what our schedule will look like - we are planning a Hobbit study, short stories, and poetry.  I'm not on a particular schedule with it, we'll get through as much as we get through and let our mood and interests drive it forward.  

As far as nonfiction reading, that will mostly be part of history and science studies.  I don't have a list all in one place, but we're doing a combo of Ancient History and Big History, and Big Science/Origins, so it will be interesting and all over the place. 

Course, another approach (infinitely simpler) would be to get a book like this to read with your middle schooler:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Shorts-Favorite-Stories-Sharing/dp/0618476032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396554664&sr=8-1&keywords=best+shorts

I grabbed this from my library, and it actually has some pretty good stuff in it. 

I am inclined to do Harrison Bergeron. The government control and even the death on an offspring at the hands of the government in the context in which it is told isn't as gut wrenching as the bullying of the children who can't possibly comprehend what they are stealing from/ doing to the little girl in All Summer in a Day. The talks about people having good intentions can spark interesting conversation. (all children receiving a ribbon at the end of a race, all teams "winning" a plaque at the end of the season, govt as nanny, when is a law keeping the majority safe and when does taking away choices cross the line, people as products) The govt oversight conversation is less personal. I think I want to do it.

His father was in Iran during the revolution and has things to say.
Mandy

Yeah, I don't think I'll do the Veldt with my kids either . . . . and I just read Harrison Bergeron last night and am kind of :confused1: about doing that one too . . . Luckily, these are easy to pre-read!

But stories like The Veldt are awesome to do with older kids. We had a fabulous conversation about the themes in both in and Fahrenheit 451 and the role of TV, XBOX, computer babysitting. Dd mentioned that at Christmas there were pjs being advertised where kids could scan codes with an ipad/iPhone and it would tell them a bedtime story. It was interesting to listen to their discussion and their view on the role of parents and the interference of technology in parental bonding time. She made me feel so wonderful bc she said that bedtime stories with me are some of her favorite childhood memories.

I love when they move beyond the surface of the story and nail the exact point that the author is making. It is actually very disturbing how "parental absence" modern technology enables. Bradbury was incredibly insightful.

I am inclined to do Harrison Bergeron. The government control and even the death on an offspring at the hands of the government in the context in which it is told isn't as gut wrenching as the bullying of the children who can't possibly comprehend what they are stealing from/ doing to the little girl in All Summer in a Day. The talks about people having good intentions can spark interesting conversation. (all children receiving a ribbon at the end of a race, all teams "winning" a plaque at the end of the season, govt as nanny, when is a law keeping the majority safe and when does taking away choices cross the line, people as products) The govt oversight conversation is less personal. I think I want to do it.

His father was in Iran during the revolution and has things to say.
Mandy

Yes, I'm considering it as a followup to The Giver, which we're about to read. I think especially in that context it will be really interesting.

But stories like The Veldt are awesome to do with older kids. We had a fabulous conversation about the themes in both in and Fahrenheit 451 and the role of TV, XBOX, computer babysitting. Dd mentioned that at Christmas there were pjs being advertised where kids could scan codes with an ipad/iPhone and it would tell them a bedtime story. It was interesting to listen to their discussion and their view on the role of parents and the interference of technology in parental bonding time. She made me feel so wonderful bc she said that bedtime stories with me are some of her favorite childhood memories.

I love when they move beyond the surface of the story and nail the exact point that the author is making. It is actually very disturbing how "parental absence" modern technology enables. Bradbury was incredibly insightful.

You know, the more I read your posts about doing short stories with your high schoolers, the more I think we might just wait . . . spend next year doing fantasy and poetry, and do the more heavy-duty short stories later.

Although boy, that Avi short story collection I linked above has a few great ones! The first one had me holding my breath the whole time - talk about foreshadowing and suspense!!

I just copied this list from a book today, and have only read a few of them, so be warned - pre-read. Here are my transcribed notes, typos and all:

All Summer in a Day - Bradbury

Werewolves in Their Youth - Michael Chabon

Eleven - Sandra Cisneros

You Can't Just Walk Out - Borden Deal

A Day's Wait - Ernest Hemingway

Thank You, M'am - Langston Hughes

The Monkey's Paw - W. W. Jacobs

The Gift of the Magi - O. Henry

The Tell Tale Heart - Poe

Growing Up - Gary Soto

Inspiring Excerpts:

'Tis - Frank McCourt, p 201-202

Tom Joad's speech from The Grapes of Wrath

Merlin's advice to young Arthur in The Once and Future King

Other:

Best American Essays - (resource to check out)

Jim Trelease - Read All About It - (another resource to check)