Menu

PSAT questions

Ds is registered to take the PSAT this October (9th grade, first try).  I was wondering how they will know he is a home schooled student (and not a student at the school in which he is taking the test) and how they will know to mail it to us?  Does it ask for his home address?  Also, the SAT looks like he has to have a "admission ticket" that has a "registration number" on it.  Is that the same for the PSAT?  He didn't get anything except a receipt for payment for the test.  I told her he doesn't go to that school, that he is home schooled, and asked if there was an "admission ticket" to get in.  She said, "No", and that we only had to call in the week before the test to find out which room he would be taking the test in.  Does this sound right or do I need to hunt down more information?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

Ds is registered to take the PSAT this October...

... how they will know he is a home schooled student (and not a student at the school in which he is taking the test) and how they will know to mail it to us?  Does it ask for his home address?

... Also, the SAT looks like he has to have a "admission ticket" that has a "registration number" on it.  Is that the same for the PSAT?  He didn't get anything except a receipt for payment for the test...Does this sound right...

Sounds right to me. :)

In short: PSAT = NO admission ticket; use the 6-digit homeschool code for your state to have results sent to your home; probably do not need photo ID.

PSAT

Dates are October 16 (Wed), or October 19 (Sat), depending on the high school.

When your DS enters his name and grade information on the test form, he will also need to enter a 6-digit code that represents each school. In order to let the them know this is a homeschooler and that the test results need to be sent to the student's home address and not to the school, your DS will need to enter the special homeschool code for your state. Find that here: PSAT Homeschool Codes by State. The students who attend the high school will enter a different code which represents their school and will have the test results sent to the school. Have DS memorize your state homeschool code and enter that.

There is NO admission ticket for the PSAT because you sign-up/pay directly with the high school, NOT online. There is NO policy by the College Board which requires a photo ID to be admitted to take the PSAT -- BUT, ask the high school what THEIR policy is. Most schools do NOT require photo ID, but some do, so check in advance. Here is more about what to bring/not to bring to the PSAT.

SAT

Dates are Oct. 5, Nov. 2, Dec. 7, Jan. 25, Mar. 8, May 3, June 7.

You register online for the SAT, by creating an account, fill out all information, upload a photo of your student, and pay online. At the time you select which date you want for testing, you also select the testing facility. Often it is a high school, but it can be some other location as well. The test results will not be sent to the testing location, but will be sent to the colleges you selected while registering, and to your home if you enter the homeschool code of 970000.

Please note: you are now required to upload a photo of your student, which is matched to their photo ID. NOTE: hair color and length needs to be very similar in the photo ID to the photo that was uploaded! Here are the requirements for the photo you upload.

Once you have completed the online registration for the SAT, uploaded your photo, and paid, you then receive a page to print out, which is the "admission ticket" your student is required to bring on SAT test day.

On test day, when filling in the high school code, ALL homeschoolers, regardless of state use the homeschool code of 970000. This code is the CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) code, used to register for the SAT and to send scores to colleges for admission and scholarship consideration.

To be admitted to the SAT, your student WILL need a form of photo ID... AND, the name on the ID MUST match the name on the admission ticket. See more about homeschool student registration for the SAT at the College Board website here and here. Here is the SAT policy about what is acceptable photo ID. Here is more about what to bring/not to bring to the SAT.

Hope that helps! BEST of luck in testing! Warmly, Lori D.

on this link

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/psat/test-day/during

Those who administer the PSAT are supposed to "Ask homeschooled students to write their address below their name."

that is in addition to knowing the homeschool code. 

knowing me, I'd take photo id just in case.  If your 9th grade doesn't have anything yet with photo id, you should be able to go state driver license and get a card for ID only (not for driving).  check your state's site for that information. 

Getting PSAT scores:  you wait until some time in Decemember.  and wait.  eventually, you'll be able to view them online after they are sent.  Look for threads on here for everyone is waiting for scores. 

Sounds right to me. :)

In short: PSAT = NO admission ticket; use the 6-digit homeschool code for your state to have results sent to your home; probably do not need photo ID.

PSAT

Dates are October 16 (Wed), or October 19 (Sat), depending on the high school.

When your DS enters his name and grade information on the test form, he will also need to enter a 6-digit code that represents each school. In order to let the them know this is a homeschooler and that the test results need to be sent to the student's home address and not to the school, your DS will need to enter the special homeschool code for your state. Find that here: PSAT Homeschool Codes by State. The students who attend the high school will enter a different code which represents their school and will have the test results sent to the school. Have DS memorize your state homeschool code and enter that.

There is NO admission ticket for the PSAT because you sign-up/pay directly with the high school, NOT online. There is NO policy by the College Board which requires a photo ID to be admitted to take the PSAT -- BUT, ask the high school what THEIR policy is. Most schools do NOT require photo ID, but some do, so check in advance. Here is more about what to bring/not to bring to the PSAT.

SAT

Dates are Oct. 5, Nov. 2, Dec. 7, Jan. 25, Mar. 8, May 3, June 7.

You register online for the SAT, by creating an account, fill out all information, upload a photo of your student, and pay online. At the time you select which date you want for testing, you also select the testing facility. Often it is a high school, but it can be some other location as well. The test results will not be sent to the testing location, but will be sent to the colleges you selected while registering, and to your home if you enter the homeschool code of 970000.

Please note: you are now required to upload a photo of your student, which is matched to their photo ID. NOTE: hair color and length needs to be very similar in the photo ID to the photo that was uploaded! Here are the requirements for the photo you upload.

Once you have completed the online registration for the SAT, uploaded your photo, and paid, you then receive a page to print out, which is the "admission ticket" your student is required to bring on SAT test day.

On test day, when filling in the high school code, ALL homeschoolers, regardless of state use the homeschool code of 970000. This code is the CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) code, used to register for the SAT and to send scores to colleges for admission and scholarship consideration.

To be admitted to the SAT, your student WILL need a form of photo ID... AND, the name on the ID MUST match the name on the admission ticket. See more about homeschool student registration for the SAT at the College Board website here and here. Here is the SAT policy about what is acceptable photo ID. Here is more about what to bring/not to bring to the SAT.

Hope that helps! BEST of luck in testing! Warmly, Lori D.

One more question, if I can, Lori D.  I looked at the answer sheet section you referenced, and I was wondering if you know whether or not questions 7-12 are optional to answer.  This is the section that is "questions to help the college board help you".  It asks for grade average, religion, college major, among other thing.  I looked at the information that the proctor is suppose to say during the exam, and they don't specifically say it is optional.  I would prefer that he not answer these since this is a "practice" for him (9th grade).  Do you know?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

One more question, if I can, Lori D.  I looked at the answer sheet section you referenced, and I was wondering if you know whether or not questions 7-12 are optional to answer.  This is the section that is "questions to help the college board help you".  It asks for grade average, religion, college major, among other thing.  I looked at the information that the proctor is suppose to say during the exam, and they don't specifically say it is optional.  I would prefer that he not answer these since this is a "practice" for him (9th grade).  Do you know?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

:blink: I blinked in confusion, until I realized you were referring to the link to the supervisor manual provided by Kathy in Richmond in her post. ;)

But, to answer your question: Yes optional.

All of those questions are in essence "marketing" types of questions. They help define your student as a demographic so that if your student marks question 7, that is saying "yes, I want information from colleges". The remaining questions help the colleges know whether your student is a close enough match or not for them to send brochures about their college to your student.

At 9th grade, you can easily skip this, unless you really are ready to start looking around this early to start your college search. But even then you can always opt out.

[Later on, when you register online to do the SAT, plan on spending a few *hours* getting through the registration process, as there are PAGES of those types of questions to get through before you actually get to the "select a date and location and pay here" pages...  :eek: ]

:blink: I blinked in confusion, until I realized you were referring to the link to the supervisor manual provided by Kathy in Richmond in her post. ;)

But, to answer your question: Yes optional.

All of those questions are in essence "marketing" types of questions. They help define your student as a demographic so that if your student marks question 7, that is saying "yes, I want information from colleges". The remaining questions help the colleges know whether your student is a close enough match or not for them to send brochures about their college to your student.

At 9th grade, you can easily skip this, unless you really are ready to start looking around this early to start your college search. But even then you can always opt out.

[Later on, when you register online to do the SAT, plan on spending a few *hours* getting through the registration process, as there are PAGES of those types of questions to get through before you actually get to the "select a date and location and pay here" pages...  :eek: ]

Oops, your right.  Thanks Cbollin for that reference! 

Also, thanks Lori D. for the clarification.  I was hoping that! 

Yikes!  The SAT is getting so "paper-worky" (a new invented word!).  Not looking forward to it!

:)

Hot Lava Mama