Menu

9 year old IEW Unit 3 Assignment

mom31257

Ds is doing SWI-A in a co-op class. He was to rewrite the story, The Princess and the Pea. He was required to write 3 paragraphs using the story sequence chart. Each paragraph had to include the following dress-ups: "-ly" adverb, who/which clause, strong verb, quality adjective, and because clause. He began a few sentences with words that wouldn't typically be acceptable, but I think he was doing it for the dramatic effect. I was thinking that he should include the fact that only a real princess would have been able to feel the pea. Thanks for any advice or tips!

Happily Ever After…Until

Once upon a time there was a prince who wanted to find a beautiful princess. He searched and searched all over the land. But alas, he could not find a real princess because all of them had something that was not right. So he sadly returned home.

Then, one stormy night, a girl frantically knocked on the castle doors. A servant swung the doors open, and the girl claimed to be a real princess. She asked if she could speak to the queen and spend the night. When the queen arrived, she was suspicious of the girl’s claim because she was drenched and water was running into her shoes and back out. So the queen tested her by using twenty mattresses and twenty comforters which were placed on top of a pea. The girl slept on the bed all night.

In the morning, the prince and the queen asked her how she had slept. She replied, “I slept horribly! Because there was something hard in my bed, I am bruised all over.†The queen and prince, who were satisfied that she was a real princess, held a wonderful feast in the banquet hall for the young couple’s marriage ceremony. And they lived happily ever after…until a dragon flew to the kingdom and wiped everyone out.

The End

I think it is implied in the fact that the queen tested her with the mattresses. Dd just finished the same unit. I thought your son did a wonderful job on the story! I love the last line adding the bit about the dragon.

Thanks for reading it and giving me some input. He's always adding in funny lines, but I think it's just his nature. I do have the kids read their assignments in front of the class, so that could be motivation, too.