Menu

More planning: Astrophysics

Hi Paula, I love all the planning ideas you have...

My first thought was Michio Kaku, because my younger dd is interested in time and space. She checked out Einstein's Cosmos from the library, and although much of it goes over her head, she's nearly finished with it. She also bought Parallel Worlds by Kaku with her own money, but has not started that one yet. (We're going to study astronomy and physics this year for her and I told her we would read that one together.:lol:) We've seen him on tv and he's very engaging. But, I looked him up and he's a theoretical physicist.

I think Neil Degrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist...we've seen him on tv and he has some books out too.

Hi Paula, I love all the planning ideas you have...

My first thought was Michio Kaku, because my younger dd is interested in time and space. She checked out Einstein's Cosmos from the library, and although much of it goes over her head, she's nearly finished with it. She also bought Parallel Worlds by Kaku with her own money, but has not started that one yet. (We're going to study astronomy and physics this year for her and I told her we would read that one together.:lol:) We've seen him on tv and he's very engaging. But, I looked him up and he's a theoretical physicist.

I think Neil Degrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist...we've seen him on tv and he has some books out too.

We love Michio, he's like the tour guide to physics for those of us that don't speak physics. :D

Tyson is who I've seen recommended too. Any particular books, video series we should start with I wonder?

Kaku is very popular right now, but my DH is an astrophysist and he absolutely rejects that guy as an authority on the subject. Half the things he says are just plain wrong...though they are usually sensational enough to make news reporters jump for joy. I know the thought of using him as a resource makes DH's teeth set on edge. Just one opinion, but there it is.

I'll talk to DH about recommendations and come back later!

Kaku is very popular right now, but my DH is an astrophysist and he absolutely rejects that guy as an authority on the subject. Half the things he says are just plain wrong...though they are usually sensational enough to make news reporters jump for joy. I know the thought of using him as a resource makes DH's teeth set on edge. Just one opinion, but there it is.

I'll talk to DH about recommendations and come back later!

Yes, I'd love to hear his recommendations.

I see Kaku as bringing the enthusiasm, but I understand about using him as the expert. Most of what we've seen with him has been geared toward the sensational anyway. He has helped get my ds excited about space again though.

The Teaching Company has a lecture series called Understanding the Universe, which is excellent. It is more astronomy than astrophysics, but it's also more rigorous than the stuff on TV. There is a college level text that goes with it called The Cosmos. My son used both in 9th grade and it worked out well.