Menu

Physics: Derek Owens or BJU?

I am looking at both:

I am a bit confused by Derek Owens website. There are no schedule for the online class. So is this where you would just download the lecture and do it on your own?? Also how does he approach labs? Does he do them online for students to watch or we buy the stuff and do it according to syllabus?

He stated on that on the online classes you can finsih early if you wanted to save money....how does that work?

I am looking at BJU physics just because I switched from Apologia to BJU for science. I never had physics in college or high school so I am scared to even teach it. That is why I am looking at Derek Owens for physics.

Thanks!

Holly

Here's the syllabus for a standard approach to the online class: http://www.derekowens.com/SyllabusPhysicsDL.pdf

But you may go more quickly than the stated pace (if you're willing to devote the weekly hours), and since you pay by the month, you would save money by finishing the course more quickly.

The lectures are all available online (or, if you don't have access to fast internet, you can get the lectures on CD from him). Each week the student watches the videos while filling in the notes (you print these yourself or order them printed and spiral-bound from Lulu), does practice problems, watches videos of the practice problems being solved, then does homework to turn in (via mail, email, or fax). Derek grades the work and emails it back with corrections within a day or two. There's a test at the end of each chapter and a final at the end of each semester. If a student has a question, Derek usually responds to emails very quickly and thoroughly.

Labs do require some basic materials. All fairly simple and straightforward. There are worksheets to complete for every lab, but students do not keep a lab notebook (as I would expect for a higher level course).

Let me know if you have other questions. I can't say anything about BJU, but ds has done several classes (including Honors Physics) with Derek, so I might be able to answer questions there...

Sue and Abbey,

I am looking at Derek Owens for physics for my 10th grade twins.

About how much time daily did your students spend on Physics?

The tradition sequence for science in our local schools is Biology, Chemistry, physics. My dds have done biology. Any harm skipping to physics before chemistry?

How would this work for 2 students at the same time?

Thanks,

Grace

Just a small addition to this thread about the DO website and pricing, etc:

I've been in touch with Derek Owens about using his material with no attachment to his school. Once he sold the product, he would have no further responsibility or accountability to my family. Since we homeschool in a non-demanding province when it comes to reporting, I want to use his youtube videos and curriculum/tests but I won't need his marking or input on a regular monthly basis.

I asked him if he would consider a one-time fee which would give us access to all the components of his courses.

This was the response when I asked him about Alg 1 some time ago.

Thanks for the email. Yes, I have been giving this some thought.

How about this: A one time fee of $172 to access the course for as long as you need it. This would give you access to the Algebra 1 course online, as Matthew has now, which would include all the videos and other course materials (HW, tests, exam review) that are on the website. I would also send you the solutions and the final exams. This would be a “single family” license, which means that siblings could also use the course.

Does that sound agreeable to you? I would rather provide access via the web rather than shipping the files on a disc, since I’m still working on numerous improvements and upgrades. The most current files, and any corrections, would always be available on the website. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Any payments you have already made would be deducted from the one time fee.

The price may not be exactly what he quoted here, but certainly, I think he's agreeable to making his courses available without doing the monthly fee. $172 and all three children can use it . . . that seems pretty reasonable to me.

My oldest will start with DO Alg 2 in the fall and then have a go at AoPS Alg 2 in the spring. I think that might solve our problems! :)

Warmly, Tricia

ps: I hope I'm not out-of-line by posting this private email as info for the board . . . this is a new development for this small company. For me, I have to find outsourcing for the higher level math and sciences and this seems like a valid option/path for our kids.

Edited by Sweetpeach

I've been in touch with Derek Owens about using his material with no attachment to his school. Once he sold the product, he would have no further responsibility or accountability to my family. I asked him if he would consider a one-time fee which would give us access to all the components of his courses.

This was the response when I asked him about Alg 1 some time ago.

Thanks for the email. Yes, I have been giving this some thought.

How about this: A one time fee of $172 to access the course for as long as you need it. This would give you access to the Algebra 1 course online,

The price may not be exactly what he quoted here, but certainly, I think he's agreeable to making his courses available without doing the monthly fee. $172 and all three children can use it . . . that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thank you!!! That sounds so doable for me if he would do that for me. How long does the access last? My other son will not do physics for 3 more years. Would the liscense last that long? I will have to send him an email soon!!

Thank so much!!

Holly

Sue and Abbey,

I am looking at Derek Owens for physics for my 10th grade twins.

The tradition sequence for science in our local schools is Biology, Chemistry, physics. My dds have done biology. Any harm skipping to physics before chemistry?

Thanks,

Grace

I'm really not sure how much time per week. That seems like an easy question... But I just don't know. I've heard other parents say "about 5-8 hours per week" and that seems about right. Of course, a lot of it depends on how quickly a child works through the homework sheets.

The order of high school science courses is often arranged with biology first and physics last for purely logistical reasons -- kids need less math for bio than they do for chem and physics, and how much they need for physics depends on whether it's an algebra-based or a calculus-based course. In many ways, it makes more sense to do physics, chem, bio -- but since kids often don't have a solid understanding of algebra before they start the sequence, schools put biology first. ... Doing it outside the order of your local schools should be fine, and since Derek's physics course is algebra-based, as long as your students have a solid understanding of algebra 1 topics, they should do fine.

For two students, you would sign them both up and buy the notes for each (or print them out). They could watch videos together, or on their own. Turn in the work as they finish it... They could work on labs together as partners.

Ds spent 45min-1hr daily. He's bright, quick, strong in math, but not inclined to be thorough or perfect.

Any harm skipping to physics before chemistry?

I'm not really qualified to answer this, but I don't think it would matter.

No experience with this.

OK, here you go...

You didn't say whether you are considering BJU w/DVD. If so, and If BJU still offers the course with Mr. Seeley, then I would not recommend it. My middle ds liked Mr. Seeley (he called him the old guy), but he seemed quite scatter-brained to me and it got soooo confusing on what was due and when. I had no idea what was going on half the time and sometimes neither did my ds. Arg.

I don't know anything about Owens, and I normally love all BJU sciences, but the Physics was just...well...confusing. I will not use it again. If BJU has not updated their DVD class by the time my youngest ds needs it, we too will be looking elsewhere.

As for completing BJU Physics without the DVDs. I wouldn't do so unless you, yourself, know Physics well. It was a TOUGH course!!

My ds completed Derek Owen's physics honors course in 7 months, doubling up a couple weeks when there was less to do.

I just asked him about the course-- he said he spent more than 5-8 hrs a week--- more like 13. The videos took 2-3 hrs, then the example problems, practice problems, homework problems to hand in took many hours each week, then the labs, reading, research, chapter tests, etc. took additional time. He handled it all and contacted Derek as needed.

He is going into the health science field.

Out of curiosity, what grade was your ds in when he completed the course and what are his strengths?
Edited by nynyny
ooops--thought poster asked what grade he received

My son is also going into the health field as well. That was why I was considering Owens. However if you times 58 to 9(months) that is 522 dollars. OUCH!!!! yes monthly payments are great but wowser the yearly cost is HUGE. I will email him to see if I can just get liscence and then do the grading myself if he provides the key and solutions.

Sort of best of both worlds....

No I will not consider BJU with dvds. I can't afford it and the DVDs are not mine to keep. If it was mine to keep then yes I will buy it.

Holly

Regarding the health field, FWIW the colleges ds has interviewed with so far aren't much interested in his physics curriculum. They discussed his Biology (self-studied) and Chemistry (ChemAdvantage) courses, along with his Bio and Chem SAT subject test scores.

Regarding the health field, FWIW the colleges ds has interviewed with so far aren't much interested in his physics curriculum. They discussed his Biology (self-studied) and Chemistry (ChemAdvantage) courses, along with his Bio and Chem SAT subject test scores.

I am considering having son go through Biology and human anat overview this summer then take SAT 2 subject test for biology. Good idea??

Physics is required for core 40 Indiana unfortunatley. I want him to take a more detailed Biology course for his senior year. :glare:

Holly

ooppss I missread it. core 40 is stated as this:

2 Credits: biology 1

2 Credits: Chemistry 1 or Physics2 or integrated Chemistry-physics

2 credits: any core 40 science course

This is for both regular core 40 and honors core 40. Hhhmmm....maybe we do not need physics. Any ideas??

Son already had Biology 1 and Biology 2 Human Anatomy(both apologia). Doing chemistry though August of this year.

Holly

I will pm you regarding what we learned about the Bio SAT.

In regards to Physics, ds' colleges do want to see a grade, but when he mentioned he was going to also take the Physics SAT exam this spring, the interviewers told him to save the money since he aced the Bio and Chem SATs.

My son is also going into the health field as well. That was why I was considering Owens. However if you times 58 to 9(months) that is 522 dollars. OUCH!!!! yes monthly payments are great but wowser the yearly cost is HUGE. I will email him to see if I can just get liscence and then do the grading myself if he provides the key and solutions.

Sort of best of both worlds....

No I will not consider BJU with dvds. I can't afford it and the DVDs are not mine to keep. If it was mine to keep then yes I will buy it.

Holly

Exactly my thoughts . . . I'd rather my kids use the DO curr/videos/tests and if/when they run into scratchy bits, I'll hire a tutor. We have 6 universities within 35 km of our home so I'm happy to pay for a license and get IRL help when needed.

T