Menu

Do you plan to hs all the way?

table4five

I asked MamaT, and I'll ask you too- what pay-offs? We only know one person IRL who was hs'ed all the way through. He is an awesome young man, but I'd like to hear more stories. :D

I know you didn't ask me, but I hope you won't mind me chiming in.

I watched my oldest 3 kids grow in their love for each other. I watched them climb trees during *recess* and do experiments together. I have watched their love for the Lord grow by leaps and bounds and their knowledge of Biblical stories and truths increase and guide their foot steps. Now I have seen my first marry a lovely Christian hser that she'd probably would have never met had we left her in ps. They are expecting their first little one in Feb. I have watched my kids learn to think for themselves so as to not go with the flow. I have seen them develope their tallents that would have been stifled had they been left in ps.

When they were still hsing the benefits (not academic) were like icing on the cake. Sleep a bit later, work the garden on some school days, walk in the woods for nature study, vacation during off season saving money and no crowds, go visit grandparents when we wish, bring meals to ailing friends and family without concern of a school schedule, apprenticeships in carpentry with their dad, time to learn to sew. It has been endless.

I look forward to what others have to say. My list is by far not complete.

I know you didn't ask me, but I hope you won't mind me chiming in.

I watched my oldest 3 kids grow in their love for each other. I watched them climb trees during *recess* and do experiments together. I have watched their love for the Lord grow by leaps and bounds and their knowledge of Biblical stories and truths increase and guide their foot steps. Now I have seen my first marry a lovely Christian hser that she'd probably would have never met had we left her in ps. They are expecting their first little one in Feb. I have watched my kids learn to think for themselves so as to not go with the flow. I have seen them develope their tallents that would have been stifled had they been left in ps.

When they were still hsing the benefits (not academic) were like icing on the cake. Sleep a bit later, work the garden on some school days, walk in the woods for nature study, vacation during off season saving money and no crowds, go visit grandparents when we wish, bring meals to ailing friends and family without concern of a school schedule, apprenticeships in carpentry with their dad, time to learn to sew. It has been endless.

I look forward to what others have to say. My list is by far not complete.

Of course I am happy to hear your success stories. :D One of the things I love about having my girls home is how well they have bonded, and how well they play together. I often hear kids at church bad mouthing their younger siblings, just because they are younger and it seems the cool thing to do. I am always pleased when my dds stick up for each other.

Tentatively planning to put the kids in our decent public school for high school. In our family, going to college is assumed, and I think it will be better for them to learn how to deal with people, multiple teachers, and basically the world while they still live at home. I can't imagine going off to college having never had to encounter views or practices that are different than our family's views and practices. We could change our minds if the high school turns out to be disastrous, but the default plan is that they go to public school for high school.

Ditto.

We have phenomenal local public schools. We are taking each year as it comes, but if I had a crystal ball, I would expect them to be home through middle school, then I would put them in public for high school so they'd have a little exposure while still under my roof. I have absolutely NO intentions of allowing them within 10 miles of middle school - way too much social drama! :) So if they do go to public school, it will be for upper elementary &/or high school.

I hope to. I lean towards it and am aiming to go all of the way. The reasons why not would be fear and finances. I am worried about what I don't know, what I might forget that would be important towards college and scholarships. I know there are so many guides and how tos and info out there. But I still worry.

And of course, it would be so much cheaper to do a charter school or p.s. of some sort that I wonder sometimes if we can pull it off right. Only time will tell, but I want to go all of the way. A final decision on high school will have to made in a few years. I am not worried about getting through middle school.

:iagree:concerned about finaces and my own abilities.

We'll do Middle school, 99% sure high school (dual enrollment?) but I would be willing to consider K12, private school ($$$:glare:)maybe charter school, even a Catholic H.S. for the right $ (and we're atheists!) but never public school.

For now, the plan is to home school all the way through, except the time we spend in other countries. I'm hoping to get a Fulbright grant to spend 9 months in Brazil- if possible I'll put DD in school that year. I may also be going to a French or Spanish speaking country to teach English for a year, and again, I'll try and put DD in school.

Otherwise, home school all the way. We won't be settled in one place until DD is at least 12, lots of moving in between. And by then she'll be just a couple years away from being able to go to community college, so might as well stick it out and go with that. :D But, I'm a student, and a single mother, sooooo.... never know what life will bring.

I asked MamaT, and I'll ask you too- what pay-offs? We only know one person IRL who was hs'ed all the way through. He is an awesome young man, but I'd like to hear more stories. :D

They have memories they would not have had if they had been in school because the flexibility of homeschooling gave us more time together, and it especially gave them more time with dh. For the most part we schooled when dh was working and took time off when he took it off.

They are close with each other and with us. They value the things we value.

They know how to work and learn independently but get along with and are respectful to wide varieties of people and age groups.

The two that are married are in happy, solid relationships.

ETA: One more thing I was thinking about: When I was growing up, I hardly had time to read for pleasure or pursue personal interests. My kids have had that time because of homeschooling.

I think all these results (except the flexibility aspect I mentioned first) can be achieved with kids in school. However, to me it just seems so much easier with homeschooling.

Edited by Luann in ID