Menu

Can you get a cold sore on your chin?

Yes, that looks like a cold sore. And yes, cold sores can develop on the chin. It is unusual, but not unheard of. My cold sores have never been on or even near my mouth. They're at the openings of my nostrils.

Emphasize not touching, because if the liquid from blisters is spread to another part of the face with broken skin, future cold sore outbreaks may involve that area too. Given that this sore is on the chin, and it isn't weird to have a bandaid on one's chin, I'd probably cover this one up and change the bandaid twice a day. Over the counter Abreva cream may be helpful for shortening duration.

Well, since my ds just woke up with one this morning on his chin, I would say YES! :tongue_smilie: However, his isn't an actual "cold sore" per say. I've taken him to the doc for it before. They diagnose it as impentego(sp?). I'm told impentago is very catchy. But, no one in our house has EVER caught it from him. So, I think it's just a variation of a cold sore. We treat it with Bactroban, which is a prescription. He only gets it when he's getting sick, so I'm guessing it's viral based?

Well, since my ds just woke up with one this morning on his chin, I would say YES! :tongue_smilie: However, his isn't an actual "cold sore" per say. I've taken him to the doc for it before. They diagnose it as impentego(sp?). I'm told impentago is very catchy. But, no one in our house has EVER caught it from him. So, I think it's just a variation of a cold sore. We treat it with Bactroban, which is a prescription. He only gets it when he's getting sick, so I'm guessing it's viral based?

So, should I be making her a doctor's appt?

That looks like impetigo (ie often staph on the face, could be strep). You don't want to spread it so have her leave it alone. I'd want bactroban and you'd need a doc script for that but you could try an over the counter antibiotic cream. I'd do bactroban though because it will handle even resistant strains.

However, his isn't an actual "cold sore" per say. I've taken him to the doc for it before. They diagnose it as impentego(sp?).

Oh, very good point. It does look like it could be impetigo, which is bacterial. It is caused by staph, but typically not MRSA.

I'd might call and see if they'd be willing to phone in a Bactroban prescription based on your description. I wouldn't necessarily fill/use it unless it got a lot worse.

If they wouldn't call it in, I'd take a wait and see approach until Friday. Cleanse gently with soap, carefully apply over the counter antibacterial cream, loosely cover with bandaid, and see if it improves on its own. If it hasn't improved by Friday, I'd take her in.

Edited by jplain

You can get cold sores other places than your mouth, but I agree that looks like impetigo. You can also mix the spice tummeric with antibiotic ointment to help heal it. Make sure you wash anything that their face touches (like towells and pillow cases) daily in hot water. Encourage good hand washing and not touching the face.