Menu

Latin- What to buy?

I know there are a trillion and one Latin threads but do you think I can find the answer I'm looking for?

What should I buy?

Dh wants to work through Lingua Latina.

I want to work through Wheelocks.

I'm a bit lost with the companion volumes and whatnot and would very much appreciate if someone would link a shopping list. I am not at all gifted with learning languages, so erring on the side of way too much practice is preferable. Dh can memorise 80 lexical items in three days, whereas I'd be lucky to memorise two. I do have the advantage that I have stuck to Analytical Grammar instead of wimping out like he did though. :tongue_smilie: I haven't finished AG, but think I have done enough that if I keep progressing, my grammatical knowledge will stay ahead of what is being presented in the Latin books. If it isn't, I'll find out soon enough. ;)

Thanks,

Rosie

Rosie,

I am working through Wheelock's right now with my ds. We have the text, the workbook, and the book with cummulative word lists as one progresses through the book. IMO, that is what you need. We also have Dale Grote's book, along with CDs of lectures for each chapter in the book (the lectures were only $50..I e-mailed him privately to get them). While these last two items are not necessary, I really like having the lectures to assist with pronunciation. I bought the MODG syllabus, which is helpful mainly for the tests (but it was $35, and you could probably make your own). The syllabus is moving faster than we are, so I am not really using it. I have also downloaded the answer key (for free) for the text and the workbook (it took some searching but I found it). It is late, so I am going to bed, but if you have more questions I would be happy to answer them when I am more awake. :D Blessings!

My dd is doing Wheelock's this year, and I went through all the resources to choose. We use the text, the workbook, the pronunciations at the site (free!), 38 Latin Stories (good for interesting review,) and English Grammar for Students of Latin. I emailed for the password for the answer key for the workbook and text, which also had a syllabus and lesson plans for each chapter. That's all we've needed. If we hadn't had any Latin before, I probably would have bought Grote's Comprehensive Guide.

She doesn't do all of the exercises in the workbook. I assign about half (there are so many if you use the text and the workbook, and I would prefer she do more translations instead,) but she has them when she feels she needs extra practice. You will have plenty of practice with just those two!

Go check out Visual Latin. The guy is a hoot. He has a sample video on his site.

You can get a DVD or download the lessons. He is also offering a class via CurrClick, but with the time difference... eh. I am going to ask him for the quizzes, though.

He recommends not doing Wheelocks until College simply on the "dry" factor, LOL. Having both Wheelocks and Henle to look at (they are sitting on my shelf), I have to agree with him.

We're going to start the program after holiday.

a

For Lingua Latina you want the text, and the College Companion. You may also want the Exercitia book, which has additional grammar exercises, and the Teacher's Guide which has an answer key :)

There is a CD-ROM which has audio files of the chapters. I find it very helpful to listen to the chapters as well as reading them.