Menu

9th grade history syllabus-how is this?

How does this look for 9th grade history? enough? too much? how is the level of accountability-no tests or quizzes, just the notebook pages and essay questions? I don't have all the resources typed in yet-I wanted to see if I was on the right track first.

thanks

Ancient World History Syllabus

9th Grade

For history each day (Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday) you will do the following:

Read one chapter (or part of chapter if less than three chapters are assigned for the week) from The History of the Ancient World. Look up coordinating section in DK History of the World. Use these resources to fill out your notebook page as follows:

1. Make a list of the names of the two or three most important individuals in the chapter (Key Topic Points section). Pick one and fill out the Personality section.

2. Make a list of three or four events that stand out in the chapter (Key Topic Points section).

3. Find the region under study in the atlas and read any relevant information. If I have map exercises in your folder, complete those.

4. Look up date in The Timetables of History and record important events on Timeline section of notebook page.

5. Answer the essay question. Ask for help if you don’t understand or if the readings did not provide enough information for you to answer the question and I will direct you to more resources.

Week

History of the Ancient World

Additional Reading

Date Completed

Week

History of Ancient World Chapter

Additional Reading

Date Completed

Resources:

1. The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome by Susan

Wise Bauer

2. DK History of the World by Simon Adams, Plantagenet Somerset Fry

3. The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events by Bernard Grun &

Eva Simpson

4. History Scholar notebook pages (Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome) by Westvon Publishing

5. MapTrek: Ancient World by Knowledge Quest Maps

This was a nice little table but the formatting went all wanky when I copied and pasted!!

forgot to add,he is taking the SMARR Ancient lit class at a coop, too. and he is a history nut! he looked at this and asked if he could do more reading, so I will probably add some of the historical fiction his sister (11) is reading, like The Bronze Bow, Hittite Warrior, etc.

Edited by Kim in SouthGa

Deborah-the sections, like Key Point and Personality, refer to sections on the History Scholar notebook pages. They are the high school version of the History Scribe notebook pages. I got them from Curr Click for around $10, I think, for the whole set. I really like them-they have pre-made essay questions (wish there was some direction on the answer to these, but they are supposed to be of the type that there is really no right or wrong answer), a small section to put a timeline for the events you are notebooking about, and a place to list key points and a section to describe an important person. I didn't schedule discussion time, but I figure we'll discuss the essay questions at some point. Our house is a little crazy thanks to the three year old, so discussions generally happen on the fly as opposed to at scheduled times. Also, he will be getting a lot of discussion in the coop ancient lit class. He really would rather just read and tell me about it, or-gasp! can't believe I am saying this-write a summary on his own. He used to practically faint if I asked him to write three sentences, now he pumps out two or three 1-2 page history summaries a week like it's nothing!

I'll probably use the tests someone posted on here too, maybe open book? I have emailed Knowledge Quest requesting an integration guide for HoAW and Map Trek, but haven't heard anything. That would totally make my day:0)