Menu

maybe I should ask here ... 8th grade language arts..

We are currently using Veritas Press's Omnibus (9th grade), and I wish I had started it last year. It is demanding, but I find it easy to follow, and its primary focus is reading and writing--which I like. It also covers history, theology, and literature in one course. But, I am reading all of the assignments, too--which is very time consuming. If you prefer a different approach, we used Rod & Staff grammar, sequential spelling, and various literary selections last year--which worked fine. I bought IEIW not knowing it required my watching 9 hrs. of instructional video in order to teach the program. I bit the bullet and am watching the videos for this year. For us, the program has been a great investment of time and money.

Hope this gives you a starting place :)

Please share what you think should be done for 8th grade LA - what should I cover and what should I use? I am open to all ideas but am hoping for something simple/straightforward if possible.

txs!

I think it depends on your child. Has the child already covered grammar thoroughly? Has the child been writing, and how much writing instruction has the child had?

Our dd is very strong in LA, but I know she hasn't covered everything in grammar. She has done Jump In and attended a writing class last year that was offered free (a retired English teacher).

Here's what we are doing for LA in 8th grade:

Christian Light 8th grade LA

IEW Student Writing Intensive B (1 lesson every other week)

Outside Vocabulary class (same teacher, and including some grammar for better writing, once a week)

Sonlight Core 100 weekly writing assignments

I think it depends on your child. Has the child already covered grammar thoroughly? Has the child been writing, and how much writing instruction has the child had?

:iagree: and good questions.

We used Analytical Grammar (6th-7th-8th), Write Shop 1 & 2 (6th-7th-8th), Megawords (5th-8th), and Lightning Literature (7th-8th). I don't know if that counts for simple/straightforward though. Every component was simple/straightforward.