Menu

Help me make a full Physics credit!

Can anyone give me a good suggestion to make a full Physics credit for my eldest?

She's a dance major, but wants to have physics so she'll understand the basics when she teaches her own kids someday. . . . :)

I bought "Physics in Your Life" from TTC. . .they look GREAT, but I'm thinking even if she watches the lectures and does written summaries, she's only doing .5 credit worth of work.

What can I add? Textbook? Experiments?

Ugh. This is the LAST piece of my puzzle. . . .help!

(Shameless plea. I'll return the favor if you need help figuring out TOG at the Rhetoric Level. . .but Physics. . . . :confused:)

I highly recommend How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life. It's a wonderful physics text designed for non-science majors that would fit perfectly with the TT course. You can pick up used copies very cheaply, and it includes comprehension questions in each chapter, with the answers included a few pages later, so it would provide a quick and easy "assessment method" for your DD.

Jackie

You might want to pick up a copy of Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. I wouldn't worry about getting a particular edition. They are very readable, with very little math in the explanations.

Kinetic Books also publishes a Conceptual Physics text. It is digital, with great explanations and animations of the concepts. It has more math, but just reading it and working thru the interactive features would teach her a lot of Physics. The web access version is very reasonably priced.

We're doing Conceptual Physics and using Take-Home Physics: 65 High-Impact, Low-Cost Labs for about 24 labs. These labs are good and use materials that you have around the house or can buy cheaply at local stores. You could use these labs with the program that you've already chosen.

How about Conceptual Physics? You could pair it with LabPaq labs and it would be a complete course.

We used Physics in Your Life a few years ago as a supplement to a physical science course. It was great, but IMO, not high school physics credit worthy (even at 0.5 credits).