Menu

Say What?

I issued my graduates a diploma, which none of them have had to show anyone. They needed transcripts for college, but I made those myself too.

Edited to add: I guess it depends on your state's requirements. Does your state require a GED for homeschoolers?

Edited by Quiver0f10

Guest ME-Mommy

Agreeing with Jean...

I just made my daughter's transcript and will be issuing a diploma...she had no problem being accepted at the local community college.

We made our own diploma and transcript and have had no problems with any colleges (4 year) up to this point. With a college degree, I'm doubtful anyone will need a GED. Some colleges might still require a GED from homeschoolers to be admitted, but none that we are interested in do. If you know what colleges your student might be interested in, it's worth it to check with them.

If your student isn't planning on any further education, then it might be an issue. I know in my state (PA) requirements were fairly recently passed requiring certain jobs to be held by high school graduates or GED holders (or higher). Some people who have been on the job for years are having to go back and take the GED. I'm not sure whether a home-made diploma would hold up for that or not.

Our "umbrella school" (what a stupid name...) give a very nice diploma in a holder. But it's not a state diploma, if that's what you're talking about. We certainly didn't need to show it to anyone to get into colleges.

I was thinking the same thing.:iagree:

In Georgia, I can say my child is graduated. I can even create a transcript. But I cannot award him an accredited diploma. Job applications usually ask if you've graduated but I've never seen one ask if you've earned an accredited diploma. Getting into college is different. The colleges I've contacted have 2 routes for admission:

1. Must have an accredited high school diploma or GED

2. Students without accredited diplomas must have a portfolio that is more descriptive than just a transcript. Classes need to have a title, description, materials used, reading lists, projects, primary teacher. One college (GA State University) requires samples of work from each class. Of course this option still requires the student to meet all other admissions requirements just like students with accredited degrees.

Option 2 is just too cumbersome for us to do, so we've chosen option 1. This means we can either go through a long distance accredited high school or use our local i-academy. We've decided to stick with our long distance program which is very expensive, a decision I keep coming back to again and again.

I was contacted by a virtual academy rep today. I was told that the advantage of their program is the student receives a diploma whereas homeschoolers only receive a high-school equivalency or a GED. What are your thoughts?

I think situations are going to vary a lot. In New Mexico, it's very easy to be admitted to state colleges and universities using SAT or ACT scores. However, in order to take advantage of the lottery scholarship a home schooled student must either have a diploma form an accredited correspondence or umbrella school which is recognized by the state or take the GED. Other than that, the only official home school documents we've ever been asked for are current transcripts and report cards. I'm always careful to include the word "Official" before the word "Transcript". I also included scores on the transcript and was ready to back up the transcript with standardized test score forms.

I'm not saying whether or not you should follow up on a virtual academy possibility, but if you are looking into it for documentation reasons, first be sure it's one recognized by schools/scholarship boards your child might apply to for admission or money. The list recognized by the state of NM is pretty short. And, there's always the possibility that a school can lose its accreditation.

Edited by Martha in NM
clarity

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was contacted by a virtual academy rep today. I was told that the advantage of their program is the student receives a diploma whereas homeschoolers only receive a high-school equivalency or a GED. What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking they're trying to scare you into their program. My "umbrella school" will issue my children diplomas. I've never known anyone who had a problem, and the "umbrella school" diploma even got one of my friend's children into West Point so I'm not worried.

In Georgia, I can say my child is graduated. I can even create a transcript. But I cannot award him an accredited diploma. Job applications usually ask if you've graduated but I've never seen one ask if you've earned an accredited diploma. Getting into college is different. The colleges I've contacted have 2 routes for admission:

1. Must have an accredited high school diploma or GED

2. Students without accredited diplomas must have a portfolio that is more descriptive than just a transcript. Classes need to have a title, description, materials used, reading lists, projects, primary teacher. One college (GA State University) requires samples of work from each class. Of course this option still requires the student to meet all other admissions requirements just like students with accredited degrees.

Option 2 is just too cumbersome for us to do, so we've chosen option 1. This means we can either go through a long distance accredited high school or use our local i-academy. We've decided to stick with our long distance program which is very expensive, a decision I keep coming back to again and again.

What exactly is i-academy? Would that be k-12?