Menu

Home Science Tools coupon & reviews

I'm putting together a basic home science lab that will be used for all 3 high school sciences. I'm looking at my cart & we're at $300 and still going up. :ohmy:

I haven't included a microscope, chemicals or physics stuff. So I'm wondering if there are coupons or any kind of discounts out there.

I've never ordered from these folks before so am wondering how they are in terms of customer service. I have a lot of glassware in my cart & am wondering about breakages. Initially, I was going to compare prices at Carolina Biologicals, Maker Shed Store & HST but time is not on my side. HST also accepts Paypal which I like (but is not critical.) Any previous experience with these companies? Any other cost-effective company out there?

Edited by LuckyDuck103
typos

I've ordered from Home Science Tools a couple times, and have been very pleased with them! Everything has been well packed, and the glass beakers, test tubes, thermometers have all arrived unbroken. I got an e-mailed 10% off code from them on July 12 -- it expires tomorrow, July 28. It is ESAVE710.

Guest ME-Mommy
I've ordered from Home Science Tools a couple times, and have been very pleased with them! Everything has been well packed, and the glass beakers, test tubes, thermometers have all arrived unbroken.

:iagree: -- we've received EXCELLENT products and customer service. The shipping is quick also.

Home Science Tools is a favorite here. Use the coupon save710 to get 10% off your order until July 28th. There is usually a sale about every 3 months, but might only be announced to customers through email. The shipping is always reasonable. They have fantastic customer service. I've never had anything arrive broken, but if there is a problem with the order they fix it immediately. They usually ship within hours of receiving the order. They have also done some extra things for me when I've asked if something is possible to get.

I teach high school chem lab as well as physics lab. I buy all my glassware through HST. The prices on glassware are the best I can find if they have it. (By the way, buy the cheaper bomex over pyrex if given the choice - it is fine quality for use at home and if it breaks you can use your savings to buy more. The only reason mine breaks it that it gets dropped.)

Chemical prices are very reasonable for a family. They don't charge extra shipping on any chemicals, so if you buy something that requires special shipping, they eat the cost. I buy my chemicals through elemental scientific in larger quantities. Elemental scientific has great prices, horrible customer service and can take up to 3 months to recieve an order - but when buying chemicals in a little larger quantities, they have great prices.

If you are only trying to buy chemicals for your family, I'd stick with HST.

(Maker Shed does not have better prices unless on sale, but does have some more esoteric things.) Carolina Biologicals is very picky about shipping chemistry stuff to individuals.

I love the physics kits put together by HST. I buy a fair amount of physics supplies from them. Inidvidual supply items are often cheaper through HST, but premade kits can be found cheaper elsewhere if you look.

I haven't yet bought a microscope, but I will be buying one soon from HST.

If you have specific questions about the chemistry stuff from HST, fell free to email me or private message me.

and always had good luck. I've never needed to actually use customer service so I really don't know how they are in that aspect.

I don't know that I've gotten that much glassware beyond a watch glass and it was fine. I ordered our microscope from them last year. It threw me at first because I also ordered a case for transportation. The microscope was in a box inside the case! It was a soft-side case. Both arrived fine and no breakages in the scope at all. It was well packed in solid styrofoam similar to how a appliance would be packed. I think it was this one. And this case.

Kits I've ordered: (all Apologia kits)

Astronomy

Botany

General Science

Physical Science

If you are a member of HSLDA you can get a 10% discount from HST any time from the HSLDA website. I agree about their great customer service and great availability of supplies. I am a science geek. Its what my degree is in and I love teaching it. We do a lot of science and a lot of labs. HST has become my absolute favorite supplier. Sometimes I can find a few things cheaper somewhere else, but most things are well priced and good quality. Great vendor!

Thank you all for the endorsements & coupon codes! I was really nervous about spending that kind of money without any kind of recommendation from other HS'ers who've used them. Now I just have to work on fine tuning my order today. I'm soooooo relieved. That will soon be a checkmark on my never-seem-to-shrink to-do list. If anything, it seems to be growing. Must be the heat. :001_smile:

Julie in KY, I'll keep your offer in mind esp wrt to physics. I'm comfortable & REALLY excited about chemistry. Bio is OK, but physics ummmm, not too confident. I think HST is going to be my new BFF..lol.

Thanks again moms, highly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I'm in California and I put in a big order ($167) to HST yesterday at 6:30am to take advantange of the free shipping for orders over $150. At 10:45am I realized I needed to order another item so I called them. Customer service told me they already processed the order and was ready to ship! In any case, the shipping fee for the one item was way less than the fee another science supply store in California was going to charge me.