Menu

Confession time...how true to the 3 cycles are you? We are set to begin our

high school cycle, beginning with the ancients, and I'm re-thinking it all. I'm considering doing SL's 100 with some items added in so that my student can take the SAT 2 for US history.

I was just wondering how many times y'all have done the "cycle" and how committed you are to it.

:)

I love the WTM history cycles! I did whole Logic and Rhetoric history cycles with my two oldest because the first ed. WTM had just come out. My 3rd oldest has done the entire Grammar cycle; he is in the middle of Logic cycle right now.

Studying history and literature together in 4-year cycles has been a GREAT fit for my family, and I plan to continue with my youngers all the way through.

GardenMom

We've done the full cycle only once, but have dabbled and dug deeply in all sorts of areas over the years.

For high school, they needed a full year of World History, US History, a semester of each of Econ and civics, so the 4 year cycle didn't really fit.

I think if you've done the cycle twice, your kids have a terrific overview of world history and thus have to context to make all kinds of connections no matter what period or region you decide to cover.

My now college student started homeschooling as a 7th grader. Since I wasn't sure how long we would homeschool, I planned a three year sweep through world history for seventh, eighth, and ninth grades.

In 10th grade, she studied AP US History.

In 11th grade, she studied AP Comparative Politics and Government.

In 12th grade, she did no history (unless you consider Art History to be History!). Given the constraints of there is only so much time available and her own interests, she elected to study a second foreign language.

She did feel that her three year sweep through world history did prepare her well for her subsequent studies.

Regards,

Kareni

Not as close as I wish I could be, but still reaping benefits from history. We spent 5 years on ancients when the dc started school :) Now, we take 5 years + one quarter to finish one full rotation. It works for us :) I make sure everyone works hard in Logic stage, so when they don't come back around to the same time, they are solid enough :)