Menu

MEP vs. Math Mammoth

momtolgd

Any thoughts on these as a supplement...or as a full program in themselves? Can someone compare them for me? I like that MEP is free...but is MM a better way to go? Would you start both at grade level for a 9 1/2 yo and a 7 1/2 yo or go down a level? I'm looking for pros and cons of each as well to help me decide.

We are currently using CLE, which is the first math that hasn't brought tears for my ds, but I would like to supplement with one of these now...just not sure which one.

Thanks. :001_smile:

Uh oh, somebody had to go there !!! I have recently switched from Singapore to Math Mammoth with dd, and it is going great. But...I keep seeing all the posts about MEP and starting to think it looks really good.

Myself, I can't see using the programs together...just because it seems Math Mammoth is taking awhile to finish each day. I'd be interested to see if anyone is using these together...

Guest RecumbentHeart
Uh oh, somebody had to go there !!! I have recently switched from Singapore to Math Mammoth with dd, and it is going great. But...I keep seeing all the posts about MEP and starting to think it looks really good.

I hate it when that happens too. :glare: Grrr @ forums. :lol:

Things to think about:

*MM is written to the student and could probably be done more or less independently. While you could have you dc do the MEP worksheets independently (again, more or less), which would give them some nice puzzle math to stretch their brains, the real meat of the program is in the lesson plans, which require active teacher participation.

*Of course, if you don't *want* another full program, but a supplement to encourage thinking outside the box, it would be easy to just grab a MEP worksheet and go. Since MM integrates all the teaching and problems, it might require more effort to pick and choose what you want.

*My impression is that MEP has more underlying-structure-of-math problems and MM has more tough-application problems (at least SM does, and board consensus ;) says that SM and MM are very similar in approach).

I am a total MEP fan, and while I like SM (which seems to be very similar to MEP) I would pick MEP over SM b/c MEP is more pure math. But I do plan to incorporate CWP into my MEP/CSMP main program combo :tongue_smilie:.

HTH

I have used both of these and for what it's worth, I would suggest MM is better suited as a supplemental program. The MEP sequence really builds on itself the higher the levels get and it can be hard to jump into a topic if you haven't been along for the ride for a while. That is one of the reasons it is hard for older students to start this program. It is a great curriculum for someone who has the time to do the one-on-one and use it as a primary program, for us I found it wasn't practical. Math Mammoth, on the other is VERY easily adaptable to use as either a primary or a supplement. If you buy the topic-oriented lessons, you will find they are very easy to jump into. I started out using it as a supplement and loved it so much we switched!

I'm not a MM user, so take any misimpressions I may have having only looked at the samples with a grain of salt, but the strengths of these two programs seem different to me.

MM appears to do a particularly outstanding job presenting a concept, and then following up with a very clear series of problems to apply the concept. So those who like things to be rather "explicit" and straight-forward MM seems like an outstanding choice.

MEP on the other-hand puts a burden of thought on the child from the very beginning. It is less explicit, hides the method to a far greater degree, but does engage critical thinking, logic, and reasoning skills in a very engaging way (assuming a child enjoys having to work their noodle). To me MEP seems like more of a "brain work-out."

I like combining Singapore with MEP because the "core" books (textbook/workbook) because (like MM which could stand-in for Singapore) it establishes a "method", but outside the IP books they seem a little thin in provoking mental consternation. MEP does that. You can see the mind whirl in a different way when they have to "reason" solutions. And I happen to value the "my brain hurts" aspect of MEP.

And sometime you just want them to efficiently learn some re-grouping strategy. What are you going to do?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My friend who is an ex reception & year 1 teacher here in England had a look at the MEP Yr 1 curriculum that we were using and said it was a fair bit harder in a lot of areas than she has ever taught. I think my impression of MEP is that the Yr 1 could be suitable for 5 yrs to 7 yr olds depending upon the child. So maybe seeing Yr 1 of MEP as suitable for 1st grade is more accurate than seeing it as K curriculum.

I know my friend's dd who has done Reception and half of yr 1 in school has found yr 1 MEP challenging beyond the first few lessons. I think she was a fairly average student at school maths wise.

I don't think YR1 MEP represents what is currently taught in English schools in YR1, I am not sure if it is different in Wales and Scotland.