Menu

Health gain/weight loss rant. I was going to post.......

...in the weight loss accountability thread but didn't want to sully it.

I took a break from actively moving along my path of gaining health. I'm ready to get back on.

I want to finish my health adventure. But I'm a bit of a non conformist. Imagine that.

I don't believe that we need "all that" water. Even if "we" did, I can't drink it because I have to pee every 15 minutes anyway. And, no, my body won't get used to large amounts of water; I tried. I had an appointment scheduled with a gyn-uro but had to cancel for budget reasons. I need to spend my medical money elsewhere.

A low carb eating style works best for my body. I am not afraid of fat in food. High protein works best for me. I lost 36 pounds eating unlimited meat and unlimited veggies (oh, and getting separated, divorced, treated for depression and happy)

Programs, details, counting (fat OR carbs) is counter productive to me.

I'm more into an intuitive eating style.

I re-registered at SparkPeople (my old name was during my single days). I'm nonplussed; it lists me as obese. At size 14, some 12's? If I'm obese *now*, what was I at my highest of 226??? I went to Catherine's a couple of weeks ago (had a coupon for $20 off any purchase of $20.01 or more). Nothing fit. Nothing. Everything in the store was too big. I can't shop in the Women's section anymore but I'm OBESE??

Whatever.

So, here is what I want to do.

1) Eat more mindfully.

2) Eat more veggies/fruit.

3) If I crave something, have it.

4) Move my body.

I guess you can add "weight loss" to my list of areas in which I am a nonconforming, counter cultural.....challenge.

I think that some things are really scewed. I would not put a size 12 as obese. Then again by height/weight my 20ds is obese and he wears a size 30x28 jeans. He is all muscle with no extra fat on him at all but yet his weight is too high for his height.

I was 250lb. just over a year ago. Now I am about 183 and trying to get down to about 160. I will never be model thin.

I do Weight Watchers loosely and have started exercising--mostly walking.

I am for MODERATION in everything. Diets don't work long term. Super exercise can't be maintained long term, etc.

Today I had part of a kids meal from Long John Silvers---certainly NOT a diet food but OH, so good.

Join us anyway! I just added my name to those that are in! I'm not counting anything. I'm with you, if I give up carbs that's half the battle. Actually my problem is more odd. I don't eat during the day, so I think my metabolism is stopped. I know the best way for me to lose weight is to eat more. I always lose when I about double my food intake. I just can't eat that way for long. And I agree about the water, I drink as much as I can but I don't like the floating feeling of drinking too much. I joined just because looking at the list will motivate me a little more. Also, I know I need to be more accountable for my exercise. Two years ago, before moving down here I was in a good routine. Since moving I just haven't been able to find the time. So, join us, please?

Melissa

Joanne, I was wondering where you were! Guess your new name threw me off. Good to "see" you!

I totally understand. I am also listed as obese and I wear 14/16. I KNOW I'm overweight, but I would not have thought I was obese. I exercise quite a bit, don't have a huge stomach, and am healthy. But, since I weigh more now than I did with either pregnancy I have to face the reality that I am overweight, maybe even obese.

For me I realized it's time to buckle down and that's why I joined the thread since I was looking for someone to be accountable for. But you have already come a long way! I think we all have to just take the steps that work for us at the time of life we are at. Even small changes can help in a big way.

Thanks for posting, and best of luck with your goals!

Wendy