Menu

Dropping "For Such A Time As This"...

Dh & I looked at the literature programs at a fair and didn't like them. Maybe you can pick up something used to finish your year off.....I always bail if its bad :) We started world history with Streams of Civilization Vol. 1 (up to renaissance), and will finish with BJU World History. You can pick up 2nd editions of BJU pretty cheap.

If you are doing American History, you might take a look at the materials offered by http://www.hippocampus.org

http://www.hippocampus.org/US%20History%20I

There are short, free videos arranged chronologically. If you click on the tab that says, "Textbooks" it will take you to a list of commonly used texts. We like "America: A Narrative History" by Tindall/Brown, published by Norton. TWTM also recommends it as a good option for high school. If you sort the videos according to the text, it makes it painless to supplement the reading; everything lines up nicely.

Norton's site for the text (this follows the 7th edition, but is still easy to use for any edition) is available here. Lots of extras to develop reading and writing skills.

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/america7/

A written study guide is also available (in two volumes) if you don't like using the net. It includes a chapter outline, multiple choice and T/F questions with answers, vocabulary, dates of importance, and sample essay questions for each chapter.

And the benefit to using this text is that older editions are readily available for very little $$ if you pick them up used. Those poor college students have to keep buying a new edition of the book for their classes while we scoop up the older editions for next to nothing. :001_smile: And chances are your library has an edition of this text kicking around somewhere; it's pretty common. So you can peruse it to see if you like the writing style for free.

Just an option... sorry your curric didn't work out.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

We dropped the Am Lit back in October. I am having my 11th grader read several of the short stories and books on the list, but we are not using the text in any way. We do better with discussing, checking Sparknotes, and, well, more discussing! I added Windows to the World for some more analysis and we are enjoying it.

For History we are using Notgrass and the Teaching Company (History of the US 2nd ed.) dvds and it is going very well.

Janice's suggestion looks really great! I hope that you find something that really works well for the rest of the year!

This has been a horrible History Program for my 10th gr. dd. Anyone else not like this? I'm thinking of dropping the textbook and have her write reports for the books with some movies and projects. (She also has the American Literature with it). :confused:

It didn't work for us at all. My kids really needed more direct instruction on analyzing literature, so we've used Lightning Literature some years, and Lit guides such as Progeny or Sparknotes other years.

Blessings