Menu

Eternally Life of Fred?

For the first time, ever, ds12 enjoys math using LoF. Not at all surprised, I just wish I would have made the change earlier.

His future plans are vet. leaning, so I know he'll have sciences galore. I'm wondering if anyone has used LoF to the end and if it was enough to bring success to college math and sciences?

Thank you for your time and sharing your wisdom.

This question has come up quite a bit on these boards, and I don't think more than a handful have used the entire Algebra/Geometry/Trig sequence. Certainly not enough to make a realistic case one way or another.

The scope-and-sequence is strong. I'm a math type, and I don't have any concerns there. I am concerned about whether the story will ultimately distract my oldest from actually learning though, so the deal that we've struck is that he'll do LOF followed by the same course in MUS. MUS works well for review because you decide how much practice/review is necessary. Or we may do MUS followed by LOF for review. Either way, we do math year-around and it's reasonable to complete both a LOF book and MUS level in a year, so that's our current plan. My kids can't get enough math IMHO. :D

:iagree:

Also, to spin that broken record again, LOF doesn't have enough practice for some kids (or some moms) ... requiring another resource for additional problem sets.

So ... my ds13 used LOF to teach himself calculus ... and he understands it better than I ever did (Purdue engineer, I am). I call that success. But whether it would be enough on its own for him to succeed in a college classroom math course ... dunno and not taking that chance. So while I have the highest regard for LOF, I also supplement it with Singapore curricula.

HTH,

karen

I think you can use it all the way through. My preference, though, it to test what my dc know by having them do some problems in more traditional, rigourous math programs. That way I know they really understand it. If they do enough of that, I will put down supplemented with such and such. I would do this even if I just used a traditional math program, especially with my eldest who prefers to self teach herself math.

• 1 month later...
Hi, Karin. What traditional, rigorous program would you use to test their knowledge in different areas?

Good question! We were turned onto the old Dolciani books by Jane in NC, among others (from 1965-1975) for Algebra. My eldest did that and part of Gelfand's before we even bought a Life of Fred book, so she only read the Algebra books for entertainment. She's doing LoF Geometry. We've supplemented with a 1973 Dressler Geometry, but since there are no answers at all for the proofs, we're now supplementing with a book called Basic Geometry by Birkhoff & Beatley we bought from the American Mathematical Society that has paragraph proofs. But I think you could find other reputable books to check with, such as Foerster's or Lial's (those are books we own, and dd did do much of Lial's the first time she did Algebra 1.)

Of course, this dd is science or math bound. She's planning to do all the subsequent LoF books including Calculus even if I end up having her go to CC for Calculus (she'll do LoF first, or so she says now.) I may have to modify things somewhat for my second dd who is mathy but doesn't like science.