Menu

Can anyone recommend a good government course?

I've not seen the ABeka text, but I've never been too thrilled with ABeka textbooks. I can't think of anything more dry and boring to read than their health texts. I would probably want to slit my wrists if I had to subject myself to their discussion of American government -- a subject I'm passionate about, and which IMO is anything but boring.

I've looked at the Sonlight material. The text, Basic American Government by Clarence Carson, is very well written. It traces the roots of our system of government back to the Greeks and Romans, contains a good deal of discussion of the philosophical underpinnings, and seems to recognize the influence of the Judeo-Christian tradition along the way. The book is unapologetically conservative in outlook. In the preface, Carson states that most government textbooks teach the subject as if the Constitution has been faithfully implemented in the 200+ years of its existence, but Carson refuses to do so. He argues that, beginning with Lincoln's use of presidential powers during the Civil War, our adherence to the Constitution's principles has lessened until the federal government is a leviathan out of our control.

The book is also a cut above the norm in what it expects of the reader. Carson does not talk down to the reader at all. It's very challenging going in many places. Not your traditional textbook by a long shot. I would see this material as AP level and as a full year course rather than one semester.

Many here seem to use and like the American Government text at http://www.greatsource.com. I've not used it, obviously, but it interests me. It's billed as a 1-semester course text.

Another popular option seems to be the Declaration Statesmanship program. There is a MODG syllabus that uses this one paired with some additional readings on government and economics for a one-year course.

Finally, in the WTM -- the most recent edition -- Susan suggests using a government text (Holt's American Government or one of the Idiot's Guides) paired with the reading of some of the classics -- Burke on Taxation, Paine re the Rights of Man, de Tocqueville re Democracy in America, the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution (of course), and using a Critical Thinking Press book re applying the Bill of Rights to real Supreme Court cases.

I'll be watching this thread to see what advice you get. There are a lot of choices out there. A good deal depends upon your goals for the course. If you want a half-credit hour for your student, your plans would look different than if you wanted to prepare your student for the AP test in American Government and Politics.

I did not like Carson's book, but that's personal preference. In my mind he was writing to prove a definite slant, and I find that much different than writing to inform. And I would prefer an informative view and allow my children to form their own opinions.

Let me say, that I don't know many books, especially re: politics, that don't have a "slant". Especially now, you will find many that are quite "liberal" in their stance. . .

My oldest is currently using Thinkwell's American Government. I think, what I like best about it, is that it causes him to ask a lot of questions. He's even done a lot of research on his own, on certain topics, just to get differing opinions.

He has also done reading from "Debate on the Constitution" and Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and others.

We also have an idiot's guide, Carson's book (Basic Am. Gov't) and a school textbook. . .for "reference" (because I couldn't decide what to use. . .)

Not that this is of ANY help, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. . .

We are going to use Painless American Government combined with this

My dd is also making an election notebook for this year and working on some poster papers on the branches of government (we have never covered this info). We have been closely watching the election and we also will be doing a lot of election stuff from this website

I will also through in a project, that I haven't thought of and call it done.

hth

lori

Another popular option seems to be the Declaration Statesmanship program. There is a MODG syllabus that uses this one paired with some additional readings on government and economics for a one-year course.

What does MODG stand for? I'd like to see this syllabus and was wondering if you could share a link to it. Also, is there a spot on the web to see Declaration Statesmanship program?

thanks,

carole

Mother of Divine Grace, the Catholic Academy where Laura Berquist (of Harp and Laurel Wreath fame) taught. She developed a number of their syllabi.

Here's a link to the MODG syllabus using Declaration Statesmanship:

http://www.emmanuelbooks.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=1792

I don't see any sample pages anywhere on this site.

Here's a link to a review of Declaration Statesmanship itself:

http://www.love2learn.net/civics/civictxt.htm

Pretty please? Could one of you who owns the Notgrass Exploring Government (I think that's the name) give me the Table of Contents for the reader that goes along with the text? I'm really planning to cover "classics" and want to know what's in the reader and how much I'll have to supplement from other sources if I go with Notgrass.

Thanks.

Rebecca: hippocampus looks really great. I didn't know about that site. Thanks for the referral.