Menu

My son had a seizure tonight

I posted on the other forum but another thought---my friend put a baby monitor in her dd's room when she was having seizures. Then she could hear if there was a problem but keep life as normal as possible. Her dd had just 2 or 3 seizures during puberty and that was all.

I responded on the other board too regarding my son's experience with seizures and childhood epilepsy.

Of my three children he has been the most difficult to teach. He would be considered "behind" in reading, phonics, and anything language oriented although I have used a good phonics approach with him for 3 years. He reads on a late 1st/ early 2nd grade level at age 8. He is on medication for his seizures and I am convinced that either the epilepsy and/or the medication causes him to be tired and groggy at times and causes him difficulty concentrating. He has not had any known seizures in quite a while but his latest EEG showed constant seizure activity on his brain. As a mother I just feel that there is a connection in his learning issues and his epilepsy.

I hope you get answers about your son very soon.

God bless you.

I know what you mean. Once you have an answer, you have a direction to go. Otherwise you are just going blind.

Lamictal is one of the seizure meds my girls are on. The neurologist told me that they are finding that kids abilities IMPROVE on Lamictal. We have seen that here. On Lamictal my 12dd started reading and making good gains. We then weaned it away in an attempt to reduce the total amount and number of meds she was on. She LOST her reading ability. Now, back on it, she is reading at a mid 2nd grade level--not bad for a kid that 1 1/2 years ago could not read a single word and has an IQ tested at 38 (not accurate but that is how she tested off the Lamictal).

Rhonda,

I really think there is a connection. I am sad that he is going through this, but I am relieved that we might finally have an answer, kwim?

I know what you mean. Once you have an answer, you have a direction to go. Otherwise you are just going blind.

Lamictal is one of the seizure meds my girls are on. The neurologist told me that they are finding that kids abilities IMPROVE on Lamictal. We have seen that here. On Lamictal my 12dd started reading and making good gains. We then weaned it away in an attempt to reduce the total amount and number of meds she was on. She LOST her reading ability. Now, back on it, she is reading at a mid 2nd grade level--not bad for a kid that 1 1/2 years ago could not read a single word and has an IQ tested at 38 (not accurate but that is how she tested off the Lamictal).

Interesting! I am going to keep this in mind if/when we get to the point of talking meds. I'd love to have similar results.

Jean,

I will pray for you as you work with Nathan. I have a son named Nathan who is 10 and he has epilepsy. He was just diagnosed with NLD two weeks ago so I am learning more everyday about how to work with him. God gives us these children, so I believe He equips us with the people who will help us teach them. I pray you find help soon. The best advice I can give you is to never stop asking questions. I am always pushing for answers that will help my son. Right now I am doing research on the link of epilepsy, NLD, and vision. My sons epilepsy started out like your sons so if you have questions feel free to ask.

It is Nonverbal Learning Disorder. It is a neurological disorder which affects the right hemisphere of the brain. This has affects on motoric skills(balance, coordination, writing), visual-spatial-organizational skills(lack of image, visual recall, spatial perceptions and relations), and social skills(lack of ability to comprehend nonverbal communication, difficulties adjusting to transitions and novel situations, hard time with social judgment and interaction). Sorry this was so long, but I am still overwhelmed myself with his diagnosis. I pray you find the right doctors to help you with your son. I remember when my son started the seizures and it was very overwhelming and scary. You will make it through this Jean.

umm. . . that last one went out before I was done, lol! This is my first trip to the new board, I'll figure it out!

Anywho, Jean, this is Tina from Heart of Reading, I believe you just joined there recently, so I just wanted to respond to your post. My 11yo dd was diagnosed with Epilepsy after a similar episode little over a year and a half ago. I know we were scared she was going to die too - it was such a frightening experience. Once we realize what had happened, we could also look back and see that there were many instances where things had occurred that we now knew were related to epileptic activity.

After the shock set in, I was hopeful that we would finally have some answers for all the struggles she had, but alas, that did not happen. The best we got, was that Epilepsy, learning disabilites, and ADHD were often seen in conjuction with one another. They were not able to pull it all together and put a bow on the package, so to speak. It was really one more thing that brought more questions for which there were no distinct answers :confused1: She does take med's now, but her seizures are not controlled yet. It has been a stressful journey, so my heart goes out to you. I hope you get information that helps you make sense of it all!

P.S. There is a great support network on the Epilepsy Foundation forums.

Blessings,

Tina

Thank you, Tina. I will have to look at the Epilepsy Foundation site. I am sorry things are not going easy for you and her. I will be praying you can find an answer soon and that her seizures will get under control. Thank you for sharing.

It is very stressfull and I am trying to not get ahead of myself or panic too much. The hardest is waiting for results. I want an answer TODAY, kwim? Then there is the watching his every move wondering if he is going to have another seizure, yet trying to act normal so he doesn't get scared. I am sure someday this will all be routine to us but for now it's crazy.