Menu

How much of the old schoolwork are you saving?

Hi everyone!

I am going through "the closet." Yeah, the one with everything both of my kids have ever done for school. I have one in college, and one going into 10th, so there are two of each kid's workbooks etc. for everything through 9th grade, and one each for 10-12th! Math notebooks, science notebooks, history notebooks, tons of workbooks, old test copies, papers written. We have yet to ever look at one of them for school purposes, but to look at them again, oh, the memories!

What are all of you doing with all of this stuff???

I saved only original work (writing, art, etc.). I put it all in a large portfolio for each son. Non-creative stuff like tests or worksheets got tossed.

Since these things still stir you with memories, you might want to wait a little (or a lot) longer before you throw things away.

I would hang on to everything still for the rising 10th grader. When my teen applied to college, there were at least two schools that requested a portfolio of work. We included some papers and art work as well as some lab reports, a quiz, and more.

Regards,

Kareni

I kept almost nothing. :) I have photographs of them with a few things, and some of their original work is on a disc...but I ditch almost everything every year. I submit nothing outside of our home, and I keep nothing (unless it's a painting or other art they did for our home).

I save old computer paper boxes and fill them with odds-n-ends school work - One box for every two grades. So they'll have six boxes when they graduate. That helps me keep the paperwork to a minimum plus forces me to be selective because their is only so much room for two grade levels worth of work. The boxes are labeled and stacked in the back of my walk-in closet!

Myra

Very little. I just went through everything from this past year on Saturday - I did not keep much at all. I keep many of the tables of contents from workbooks, as well as final tests in some subjects. I keep samples of original artwork and programs from recitals and such. I keep lists of everything that we used for curriculum, as well as reading lists. This doesn't add up to a lot of paper, though. For dd just finishing 8th grade, all of her K - 8 work that I saved is in one bankers box.

Here in New York State, the school district super has the option of offering a "Certificate of Equivalency" certificate (not an actual diploma). Our super will do this but has the option of asking to see samples of work and/or textbooks at a review conference. So I'm holding onto more then I want to....just in case we go that route.

Myra