Menu

What is on your rising 9th grader's required summer reading list?

One of the things I did in the summer before 12th grade was make up a basket with lots of good non-fiction titles. I received many good suggestions here:

Looking for intriguing non-fiction to add variety to my teen's reading ...

I had my daughter read six books of her choice from the basket throughout the summer. The reason I picked non-fiction is that her reading list prior to that time was more weighted towards fiction. If I could do it again, I'd have made up a similar basket every summer.

Regards,

Kareni

The Hobbit, which she has basically refused to read before now and

The Pilgrim's Progress.

We're going to study early modern era next year with History Odessey level II and some primary sources from The Great Books.

I hope she might be able to pre-read some of the lit on my list for next year, because I think it might be too much.

We're going to attempt the following:

Silas Marner

Great Expectations

Robinson Crusoe

Frankenstein

A Tale of Two Cities

Kidnapped

Paradise Lost

We're also going to include a poetry study from Smarr.

Well, I don't really have a list but I have a few books I'm strongly suggesting to my rising 9th grader. I'd like him to read the Sutcliff retellings of the Iliad and the Odyssey. I think they are entitled respectively Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. He read the Colum retellings before but not Sutcliff's. We are going into Ancient Lit in the fall and I wanted him to refresh his memory before tackling the real things. Also, I want him to read To Kill a Mockingbird, just cuz both his older siblings read it at that age and loved it. And I want him to read a religious book of his choosing over the summer.