Menu

Scheduling for 2 kids...

OK, I know, I know... some of you have 5 or 6 or more! But this past year was the first year we had both of ours at school age, and it's been tough to get work done.

My older is 7, has ADHD among other issues, and pretty much works best when supervised and in conversation with an adult. Once we run through GWG text, or do the spelling pre-test he will work independantly for a short time--but most things we teach are pretty "hands on". This is a child who does not play by himself well, will stop what he is doing every 30 seconds and want you to come "check his work"--he's really an extreme extrovert who hates quiet and alone time. He also is working far above grade level.

My younger son is 5, and he's just starting to take off on his reading and math. He'll entertain himself pretty well, but I feel like he gets 20 minutes or so of instruction a day, and then has to run around and fend for himself. Next year we want to start some grammar, science, etc... but he also wants Mommy or Daddy right there to hold his hand. He's the one who is quiet and could easily be left behind because he doesn't demand attention in the same way--but deserves it, of course.

I'm trying to figure out a fair and balanced schedule that meets both boy's needs... any ideas? Switch back and forth, do some things together? For example, they both listen to SOTW and do the coloring pages/maps, but only ds 7 has done a narration (though ds 5 will chime in sometimes)--how will they both do that simultaneously? They are much farther apart in ability than their age difference might indicate--you can see what they are currently using right now in my sig. But I think this past year was less than effective :glare:, lots of wasted time and trying to keep one entertained or busy while focusing on the other.

If you can post actual schedules or links to what a daily plan might look like, I will be so grateful!

Hmm. I don't know if what I do will help you or not, but I'll let you know and you can think about it!

My children were 5 and 8 when we started. Closer in ability though it seems than your two.

We did every single subject together except math and grammar. We did writing together for a while, too. But my son has recently shown more maturity to work on his own, so he is doing his own grade appropriate program.

We basically do any reading together (I used to read it all when they couldn't read) taking turns, then we do the application separately. If it is narrations, then they take turns. (I got them used to writing from outlines because on some days I just couldn't write down every last thing!)

I have to go, but I hope that helps.

Hmmmm... they will both listen to read-alouds together. The hardest part is that ds7 needs a lot of supervision, but is 5+ "years" ahead of his brother academically in some areas. I've got one who reads "The Cat in the Hat" and another reading the entire "Ender's Game" series again... for writing, math, etc. I just don't know how to give them both help.

I hear your struggle. I wish I could help. :confused:

5+ years is a huge gap in material.

You know what you younger child needs, you do, or you wouldn't be having a problem. The issue which you need help with the most, seems to me, is your seven year old. Perhaps the folks on the accelerated board will be able to help?

I'd guess it will get easier as your ds7 matures a bit more and can work more independently. My boys are much better at getting their work done at 8 & 9 than they were at 6 & 7.

Can you sit them both at the table and work with one and give them something independent to do while you work with the other? Tell the one working independently that you will check his work or answer questions as soon as you are done teaching his brother and swap back and forth. Start out with short lessons, and slowly extend them so they learn not to interrupt while you're giving a lesson.

I would combine where possible, although with the level gap that might be difficult. As far as doing narrations with more than one, the way I've worked it is to take the boys out of the room 1 at a time and they narrate to me out of earshot of their brothers. I normally go youngest to oldest.

As to the narrations, can one narrate while the other draws a picture, then switch? We added Julie Shields' copywork to our schedule this year and it's worked so beautifully I'm adding even more for next year. Do you have something along those lines that is fairly independent, even for a 5 or 7yo? One could work on copywork while the other does his narration, then switch. Or, maybe one could narrate and the other could re-copy it?