Menu

TT Geometry & Chalkdust Geometry

I'm considering TT Geometry & CD Geometry for next fall for 8th grade dd.

I'm wondering if others feel TT is just as in-depth/thorough as CD? I'd like to find a good/independent curriculum to use for higher maths. So, I'd like to stick with one!!! dd is just finishing Lial's which was "fine", but has some problems. Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think of TT Geometry & CD Geometry for a child that plans to take math upto Calculus in hs.

Thanks!!! :)

TT has been a wonderful curriculum for our high school students. In fact one of my children said I could stop paying for a tutor because TT is so effective. TT has a precalc program coming out this sumemr but no plans, as of yet, for a calculus program. So that might factor in your decision. The head guy from TT said they were looking into putting together a calculus program but they found that most high school students taking calculus took it at the community college level so they could get dual credit. If that isn't a stumbling block for you TT definitely gets the thumbs-up from me!

The one difference I do know about is that Chalkdust Geometry covered some trig - tang, sine, cosine, etc which I don't think TT covers. I only know this because my son was able to start physics this year before Alg II and a friend that tried the same thing after TT was completely lost in physics after a few chapters. He had not had any tang, sine, cosine. You can probably find the scope and chapters listed on a website for both of these programs and compare them.

Good luck

ReneeR

The one difference I do know about is that Chalkdust Geometry covered some trig - tang, sine, cosine, etc which I don't think TT covers. I only know this because my son was able to start physics this year before Alg II and a friend that tried the same thing after TT was completely lost in physics after a few chapters. He had not had any tang, sine, cosine. You can probably find the scope and chapters listed on a website for both of these programs and compare them.

Good luck

ReneeR

TT Geometry does cover tangent, sine, and cosine. (Must have just been a difference in your son and your friend's son.)