Menu

Grammar and writing questions... FLL, GWG, WWE

mazakaal

A little background... I used FLL for 1st & 2nd grade with my oldest dss. At the time there was no FLL 2, so we moved into R&S which I eventually abandoned because it took sooooo much time. My 5th grader is now using GWG happily.

I planned on using FLL with my youngest 2dc (because I have it still and don't want to buy something new) and then transitioning into GWG in 3rd grade. I like that GWG has a workbook so dc can get practice with what they're learning. I was just looking at FLL 2 and realized that it has a workbook also, and I'm wondering if I should just stick with that. Can anyone compare FLL 2 with GWG?

Also, I like the look of WWE to start with my dd next year when she's in 2nd. But it seems that both WWE and FLL have narrations and dictations. Is there a lot of duplicate work in the two?

Thanks.

Just to clarify, the first FLL is FLL 1&2. The next FLL, which I believe you're speaking of, is FLL3. FLL3 does indeed have a separate workbook and is much "meatier" than FLL 1&2. We really like this program.

I can't compare FLL with GWG.

I use WWE w/my DS6, but not DD9, who's doing FLL3. If I were to use WWE w/FLL3, I wouldn't do the dictation or narration exercises in FLL3 because there would be enough of that in WWE. Hope this helps some.

I can't really compare the two, as I haven't used FLL, but you will have no problems switching to GWG in 3rd if you use FLL in 4th.

We actually just start GWG in 4th as our first formal grammar program, no issues. Everything is explained in grammar books each year, starting with 'a noun is . . '

A little background... I used FLL for 1st & 2nd grade with my oldest dss. At the time there was no FLL 2, so we moved into R&S which I eventually abandoned because it took sooooo much time. My 5th grader is now using GWG happily.

Thanks.

This is my 5th grader to the letter. FLL 1&2, R&S three which we abandoned (because I hated it!), now thriving with GWG 5, which he will finish in about two weeks.

My DD, who is 8, did FLL 1&2, and then moved to FLL 3 which she will finish next week. She has loved FLL3, probably more than ds would have if it had been available then. Because of the poetry memorization and chants, she looks forward to it every day. My son has done well with GWG, because it is just grammar without all the extras. They have two different personalities, and the programs they like reflect that.

I would look at your dd's personality and decide from that. I do think that at the third grade level, it is really nice to do the program together as FLL3 is designed. GWG is a more independent program, which is great as they get older, but I enjoyed the time with dd this year.

HTH!