Menu

Read Aloud/Independent Reading

Lakeside

When do you stop having your children do all of their reading aloud and allow them to do some of it independently?

Just in the past few days, my son has gone from not doing a whole lot of reading aloud to reading My Father's Dragon to me. He is starting to show interest in actually reading on his own, not just looking at the books, but I vaguely remember reading something (I think it was in TWTM) that said to hold off for a bit so that they don't develop bad habits.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks!

Shannon

That time has come at different points for each of mine. I make them read to me until they finish their phonics book at least. After that, I let them stop when they start protesting it and are showing a good interest in reading on their own. Once we make that transition, I still have them occasionally read something out loud--Bible passage, grammar lesson, etc. If I were to notice a problem, I could take care of it then.

My boys are at the opposite ends of the spectrum with reading skills.

My oldest (almost 14yo) was reading and comprehending VERY well on 4th grade level when he was in about 2nd grade, so I didn't listen to him read everyday back then. Since he was so young, I did have him read a page or two to me a few times a week, but he always did well.

Now, my 10 1/2yo son has dyslexia and I don't know when he'll stop reading TO me. He and I buddy read or I read aloud *everything* and think this will continue for years.

My 6 yo reads aloud to me from her reader (Pathway) or an easy reader almost every day we do school work.She reads her own books silently to herself,which includes chapter books.She has been asking to read SOTW to herself too.Sometimes I let her and ask her questions after.I'll pick out a few of the harder words first to make sure she is pronouncing them right.I'm finding her to be far more independent in her work than her older sister was at this age.I suspect it's because she is trying to copy her older sibling.