Menu

anyone know what time period, etc. they are using for the new Am. Girl doll???

I didn't know a new one was coming out, so I did a quick search and it looks like her name is Rebecca, she's a Russian Jewish immigrant to NYC in the early 1900's.

My girls and I enjoy the historical dolls and their stories--it really gets them interested in a particular time period and people/culture that they didn't know much about. Even my son enjoys the historical aspect of them--but don't tell him that I told you!:001_smile:

Wow, how'd you find out so fast? I only just got an email from AG that there was going to even be a new doll.

The books ought to be interesting. But they'll be competing with the All-Of-A-Kind Family series ... Jewish family, NYC, same era. Those are great books.

The All-of-a-Kind family series is based on the author's pre-WWI childhood in an immigrant Jewish family in New New York City's Lower East Side. They are wonderful books with wise parents, bright daughters, and fun little things happening. I learned a lot about Jewish holidays, among other things, by reading these as a child.

The titles are:

* All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Helen John. Follett, 1951.

* More All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Mary Stevens. Follet, 1954.

* All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown. Illustrated by Mary Stevens. Follett, 1958.

* All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown. Illustrated by Beth and Joe Krush. Follett, 1972.

* Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Meryl Rosner. Dutton, 1978.

The All-of-a-Kind family series is based on the author's pre-WWI childhood in an immigrant Jewish family in New New York City's Lower East Side. They are wonderful books with wise parents, bright daughters, and fun little things happening. I learned a lot about Jewish holidays, among other things, by reading these as a child.

The titles are:

* All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Helen John. Follett, 1951.

* More All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Mary Stevens. Follet, 1954.

* All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown. Illustrated by Mary Stevens. Follett, 1958.

* All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown. Illustrated by Beth and Joe Krush. Follett, 1972.

* Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family. Illustrated by Meryl Rosner. Dutton, 1978.

Thanks, Heather!

I learned some good parenting techniques from them. :) I loved Mama's solution to the housecleaning laziness.

Can't wait to see the new doll, either way. I love the AG books .. the old ones ... the newer ones are not quite so appealing but still enjoyable.