Menu

Just got back from D.C. with our 6, 5, and 2 yo's

What an excellent place to go! Our tax dollars are hard at work there, as most things are free! Highly recommend it! We will probably go back in 2 years - there is so much to do. And, a great first time plane trip for the kids - very short from Boston. The only place we payed to go into was the Spy Museum (very cool!).

It would have been nice to have gone up the Wash. Mon. - but we planned way too late. I think you have to get tickets a few months in advance. And, we will wait for a White House tour when the kids are older - that too needs a few months in advance. Get the Frommer's Wash. D.C. with kids - excellent guide for us.

We really liked walking down the national mall with the Wash. Mon., WW2 memorial, Lincoln's Mon., Korean Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial all in a very short distance from each other. You can see the White House from the Wash. Monument. That was our first afternoon. The next day we hit the Air and Space - excellent! You can spend a few days there - we just did 1. After the Air and Space we walked over to the Capitol. They have a great tour that includes a 15 min. film on democracy and they take you inside - we just walked right into it without reservations. The next day we did the National Zoo - saw the Panda. The Zoo is huge! We only got through half of it! The next day, we did the Spy Museum and just touched on the American Art museum across the street from the Spy. The last day we went to see the National Cathedral - a beautiful building and worth seeing. That was our trip. We stayed at the Embassy Suits Hotel and really enjoyed it there too - full breakfast was included.

Have a great time when you go!!!

It would have been nice to have gone up the Wash. Mon. - but we planned way too late. I think you have to get tickets a few months in advance.

No the Washington Monument tickets are free to pick up in the morning of the day you want to go up. At 8:30 I think (my friends got them when we went).

We tried to reserve tickets for the Wash. Mon. a few days before hand - they are only $1.50. But, for the 5 days we were going to be there they were all sold out. We might have been able to get in line early in the morning for same day tickets? I'm not sure.