Menu

Anyone have experience with Vit D deficiency?

When a food additive or drug is released it is patented, making millions for the patent-holder. It is also approved by the FDA... making millions for the FDA. Vitamins are not patented. They are not regulated by the FDA.

Your argument sounds good, but as far as I know, in contrast to food additives and drugs, there is no organization getting profits for every sale of a vitamin. I have been told that is why it is so hard to get doctors to test for and recommend vitamins. I know. I had B12 deficiency that was causing disabling pain for years and I had to find a Dr. who would treat the deficiency with an inexpensive vitamin rather than throwing expensive patented drugs (which at least three organizations get throw-backs for) at the symptoms. I have also been told by health professionals that the recommended daily allowance of almost every vitamin is a lot lower than it should be.

Do you have any evidence of this speculative Vitamin-D money-making scheme?

:confused:

Why are people putting words in my mouth? I never said “conspiracy†or “scheme.â€

Check out vitamindcouncil.org. This is an organization that promotes vitamin D. Maybe they will make money. I don’t know. This quote is from their main page and it reiterates what I already said:

*********Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body.***********

That is for anyone wondering if it really is a steroid.

Then they go on to tell you a bunch of things that, in my opinion, are a huge leaps considering the gravity of this statement alone.

But I digress. Again, setting aside that issue…

The following article lists some organizations that benefit from positive vitamin D studies and how they are a bit tangled with the organizations that provide research. They may make a pittance compared to the drug companies, but there is still a lot of money in it as my previous post pointed out. The drug companies are plagued by the same problems though – even worse no doubt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_strauss/20080213.html

Now, I feel like I have shifted the focus of this discussion inappropriately, and I am reminded why I usually just read the boards and stay quiet. I’m sorry if I have skewered the conversation. Please forgive me! :blushing:

You are welcome to PM me if you want to further discuss this, but I am really not trying to convince you that your course of action is wrong, just reminding people that the science not a done deal. And if anyone is feeling anxious about supplementing when the recommendations are all over the board right now, then you are not alone.

I have not read all of the posts, so I am sorry if I am repeating anything someone has already said, or if you have come to a conclusion on your own. Your post caught my eye because I very recently had an experience with Vitamin D deficiency. I'll try to be brief. I went for a physical after not feeling quite right for several months. I saw a nurse practitioner, rather than the doctor who was too busy for several months for a physical. The LPN did a bunch of routine tests, one being for Vit. D. She had guessed that was the problem before even drawing blood. She prescribed the 50,000 units once per week. I took the first dose on a Monday. By Wednesday, I had a raging headache like none I've ever had (and I get migraines) and was feeling very jittery. The symptoms got worse for a couple of days and were about gone by Sunday. I couldn't figure it out, wondered if it was a new type of migraine or if I was experience some sort of anxiety attack. I took the second pill and symptoms started again the next day. Hmmmm....By the end of that week, I was back at the doctor's office, thinking something was really wrong with me. Could a vitamin do that? Well, yes, after much research and discontinuing the drug, I feel fine and have never had that happen again. The physicians assistant I saw said an OTC vitamin D would be fine at 1,000 units a day. I haven't started that yet. I am getting as much sun as a NH spring will allow, not using sunblock or my face lotion that has SPF. Just after this, a natural doctor I saw 3 years ago called out of the blue to check in. I told him about all this and he says he NEVER uses that form of vitamin D. It is not the same type your skin makes and he said I should take cod liver oil. So, that is what I will do. I know this is lengthy, but I wish someone had told me this before I took the prescription vitamin and wish I'd never stopped taking cod liver oil! Good luck!

I told him about all this and he says he NEVER uses that form of vitamin D. It is not the same type your skin makes and he said I should take cod liver oil. So, that is what I will do. I know this is lengthy, but I wish someone had told me this before I took the prescription vitamin and wish I'd never stopped taking cod liver oil! Good luck!
What was the prescription? Interesting that maybe a lower daily dose is better than a huge weekly one.

:confused:

Why are people putting words in my mouth? I never said “conspiracy” or “scheme.”

Check out vitamindcouncil.org. This is an organization that promotes vitamin D. Maybe they will make money. I don’t know. This quote is from their main page and it reiterates what I already said:

*********Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body.***********

That is for anyone wondering if it really is a steroid.

Then they go on to tell you a bunch of things that, in my opinion, are a huge leaps considering the gravity of this statement alone.

But I digress. Again, setting aside that issue…

The following article lists some organizations that benefit from positive vitamin D studies and how they are a bit tangled with the organizations that provide research. They may make a pittance compared to the drug companies, but there is still a lot of money in it as my previous post pointed out. The drug companies are plagued by the same problems though – even worse no doubt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_strauss/20080213.html

Now, I feel like I have shifted the focus of this discussion inappropriately, and I am reminded why I usually just read the boards and stay quiet. I’m sorry if I have skewered the conversation. Please forgive me! :blushing:

You are welcome to PM me if you want to further discuss this, but I am really not trying to convince you that your course of action is wrong, just reminding people that the science not a done deal. And if anyone is feeling anxious about supplementing when the recommendations are all over the board right now, then you are not alone.

I applaud you for taking the time to research this and for sharing it with us. Really. :grouphug: I will be sure to be more careful after your warning.

I routinely supplement adrenal and thyroid hormones, working with Dr. Rind and the temperature chart. I believe that if we do not have normal levels of a hormone that we need to supplement it.

I agree that putting it into food and recommending routine supplementation without testing isn't a good idea.

Edited by Lovedtodeath