Menu

Back from conference, my son has fever, sore throat & stuffy nose

Thank you. I just saw there is a confirmed case in Norfolk (very close to me).

He just awoke and vomitted. Then asked for SOTW Vol 3 :lol:. So, now he's on my bed listening to Jim's voice.

I'm wondering how much higher the numbers are considering very few people even take their children to a doctor when they have flu symptoms. I know I don't.

I hope your son feels better soon. I'm sorry to hear he is sick.

Just to put it in perspective, regular seasonal flu kills thousands every year and we don't get the panic or caretaking of cleaning our hands as the media reports for the swine flu. People don't stay home when it's flu season. All of us in the household had the regular flu in Feb./March. The doctor told us that there wasn't much he could do except for us to rest and stay home. My elderly mother developed pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. The hospital says that most people die from the resulting pneumonia, not from the actual flu.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/healthsource/19303101/detail.html

My pet peeve about all of the media coverage is that people don't stay home for other contagious diseases such as strept, whooping cough, etc. There are no shut downs for other diseases, including seasonal flu. People don't maintain their habits of washing up and using sanitizer.

We are actually sticklers about washing of hands, but we honestly don't go out and about that much. I do most of my grocery shopping alone, for example. My boys know to use elbows to open doors, feet to flush toilets, pinkies or pull their shirt sleeves down over their fingers to open doors if they cannot be pushed. We wash our hands when we return from stores and such. Hotels and restaurants are the hardest -- in my opinion -- to stay clear of germs.

Now that I've read more about the current flu, I understand more and feel better about it. We practically NEVER get the flu. My husband, Aaron and I have had it once or twice in ten years. Nathan has had strep twice and Ben vomits for a day here and there.

Yes, I know that after reading up on it more. The fact that there have been so many threads about this caused me to be alarmed.

We just got back and his strep and flu tests were negative.

That's great news. And, yes, it is easy to be alarmed when there is a lot of hype.