Menu

Continue combining kids for Latin or seperate them?

momtolgd

Ok, I'm having trouble deciding here...it would be really nice to be able to see all of these Latin options up close and compare them and decide. Since I can't do that, hopefully someone here can help me with this!

The older kids will turn 9 in August and 7 in October. Right now we are doing Song School Latin together and really enjoying it. But I'm not sure what route to take next.

I want to continue with the Classical pronounciation.

It seems that there are many options for my upcoming 9 year old, but they won't really work for my upcoming 7 year old. I don't really want to have her not do any latin because she really enjoys it (SSL is one of her favorite subjects right now.)

For combining them...Minimus seems like the only option.

To seperate them...there would be many options for my oldest (maybe Latin Prep? Lively Latin? Latin for Children? Getting Started With Latin? etc.) But what options are there for a 2nd Grader? I don't want it to be too intense for her...I want her to keep her enthusiasm about Latin that she has now...I just don't kwow what else is available?

What would you do? :confused:

I guess it depends. I wouldn't start a 9yo on Latin Prep necessarily, I am not sure about the others. My dd was in a Latin class for several years which combined several ages, but moved at the pace of the younger ones.

I do prefer to keep my kids together as much as possible, but skill wise my older is more than the 17 month difference ahead of her brother. Because my older went to a class when my younger wasnt ready, they have always done Latin separately, and my older moves much more quickly than my younger, who may never get very far but eventually will know what he knows quite well.

I guess it depends also how seriously you want to take Latin and if you have an end goal. My goal for Latin is just to keep plugging away at it, year after year, and we get as far as we get. But if you have a goal you may have to work backwards to see where you need to start the more serious Latin.

One possibility is to keep going with Minimus or whatever until your kids are 9 and 11- Latin Prep, for example, may well work for them both at that stage, as 9 is about the minimum age you could start it, and 11 is ideal.

Latin for Children I am sure starts younger than that.

If it were me, I would really try and keep them together because it is harder to keep up with different levels, particularly when you are parent involved, but in my case, I wasn't able to. My older does Latin alone though, and I help my younger, so its ok.