Menu

? about Sadlier-Oxford Progress in Mathematics

I just found a hardcover 4th grade SO textbook at our local library book sale. It looks like an excellent math text and I was just wondering if those of you who are familiar with SO math think this text would be enough math for my 10yo daughter. She is struggling a bit with math so will be doing 4th grade instead of 5th grade math next year. The math seems simple enough that I wouldn't need an answer key/teacher's manual, but I am just wondering if this one text is enough for 4th grade math.

That is the book that we used for K12 math last year. Does it have a purplish cover with a picture of fruit? If so, that is the exact math we did for K12 for 4th. That being said, we didn't officially use it from K12, we dropped the K12 online portion as it was nothing worth paying for since all of the work came straight from the book. So we used the book only, no TM, no guidelines, etc and my son did just fine with it. You can definately use it as your main spine and if the child needs extra help on a particular part, use free worksheets etc from the internet. If I remember right, the publisher, SO, has their own website where they offer extra worksheets, games etc that correlate for free.

hth

Oh, wait, I think we did K12 5th grade math last year, when DS was in 4th...so book might be different than I described, but all of my other info is correct :).

Edited by Samiam
adding info

That is the book that we used for K12 math last year. Does it have a purplish cover with a picture of fruit? If so, that is the exact math we did for K12 for 4th. That being said, we didn't officially use it from K12, we dropped the K12 online portion as it was nothing worth paying for since all of the work came straight from the book. So we used the book only, no TM, no guidelines, etc and my son did just fine with it. You can definately use it as your main spine and if the child needs extra help on a particular part, use free worksheets etc from the internet. If I remember right, the publisher, SO, has their own website where they offer extra worksheets, games etc that correlate for free.

hth

Oh, wait, I think we did K12 5th grade math last year, when DS was in 4th...so book might be different than I described, but all of my other info is correct :).

Mine is orange and has some clocks, a stop watch, a thermometer, a computer mouse and an egg timer (looks like a miniature hour glass) on the cover. Thanks for the info - I think I'm just going to go with it. I noticed it has extra practice and tests in the back of the book too. Nice! Oh, and I went to the website and found tons of free supplemental helps. Wow - I've got next year's math curriculum for $1!! Takes the sting out having to buy TT Geometry for Dd16 :).

I used this same exact book as the spine for my 4th gr. daughter this year. I like this series, but tend to supplement like crazy. I used the Spectrum 4th gr. Math workbook, some MUS multiplication the first part of the year and Key to Fractions toward the end of the year, plus an old book I LOVE called Kids Are Consumers Too! by Addison-Wesley.

Definitely like the Sadlier-Oxford supplements online, also. I feel this is a very good spine and that I'm covering what I need to cover. There were times, though, that I did feel that additional explanation was needed.

• 2 years later...
Guest Blubel49

This is the same book we just got done using this year for 4th grade. I really like it & my 4th grader did fine. We had to slow down during division & fractions, but the examples in the book are well done & easy to follow. I also bought the workbook to go with it & we really didn't need it. It is good if you want extra work on each lesson, but otherwise not needed.