Menu

Anyone combine two latin programs?

scrapbabe

I'm just curious to know if anyone combines two different latin programs? How does it work? Do you do one week of program 1 and one week of program 2? Do you switch off from day to day? Just curious. I'm thinking about combining LFC with Latin Prep.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I'm just curious to know if anyone combines two different latin programs? How does it work? Do you do one week of program 1 and one week of program 2? Do you switch off from day to day? Just curious. I'm thinking about combining LFC with Latin Prep.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Latin for Children and Latin Prep are both grammar-based programs. Many people combine programs that are different (grammar + reading).

If you do plan to combine LfC with Latin Prep, there are many more (myth, history) readings/translations in Latin Prep than in LfC, unless you get the optional readers from Classical Academic Press. CAP's readers are generally historical, from ancient to more modern times as you progress through them.

...which is funny, because prior to this year I had a terrible attitude about Latin and was convinced I could NEVER teach it. Now we're happily exploring three different programs, not because any of them weren't working, but because they each give us something slightly different and we enjoy them.

We combine Linney's Getting Started With Latin with Lively Latin four days a week. We do GSWL first, talking about the new word or concept for the day and then doing the translations. Most GSWL lessons give 10 sentences to translate. Sometimes I put them on the whiteboard and we do them together orally, and sometimes I have them write out the translations. Either way, it usually takes about 15 minutes.

Then we spend about 30 minutes on Lively Latin. We start with drill (vocab, chants, etc.) and then do - usually - about two pages of LL. Ideally, I like to do one lesson and its related worksheet.

Now that we're finished with co-op for the year, I use the extra day in every week for "fun" Latin - usually Minimus, which my kiddos think is fun and easy so far, but also silly drills and games with our previously learned vocabulary.

I do consider Lively Latin our "main" program for this year, and it's the one that got us going with Latin and made me believe I could actually teach it. The others I only tried because they were fairly inexpensive (if you don't buy the Minimus TM) and I was intrigued, but they have definitely enriched our Latin studies.

Best,

SBP

Smiles,

Shalynn

Why LFC and Latin Prep, in particular? I think that if your students are capable of doing well in Latin Prep, then LfC would be boring for them - unless you just want something for extra chant and basic grammar practice.

We don't so much combine, as have a couple that we use. When we hit a wall in one, or get bored with the approach, we switch. We also appreciate seeing different approaches to the same topic - sometimes this aids learning greatly.

We mainly use Latin Prep, but when we want a change, we use Lingua Latina, and sometimes Henle.

Well, I own LFC and really like the DVD aspect of it. I like that someone else is the teacher. I also like the chants. It really helps us to memorize the grammar and vocabulary in a fun way. However, I like Latin Prep because you start right away translating - which I think helps to understand how to use the language, not just memorize chants. We are only on lesson 7 of LFC A, so we haven't got to the reader yet. Is there a lot of translation work there?

I own them both, so it's not a matter of spending more money. I just love them both and don't want to pick one over the other. I don't want it to be redundant though, either.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I can see LfC and Latin Prep working together, but remember than one is American and one is English, so you would have to change around the order in the LP charts to make it work well. But that is possible.

I started with Cambridge, with a small class, but after a while the class was moving too slowly and I felt it was going to take forever, so I looked into other programs to do at home with my kids. LfC was just coming out at the time, and I jumped on it, thinking we coudl learn the grammar that way, and use Cambridge for translating. After a while though, I got so tired of the chanting in LfC. It just isnt a good program for people who prefer whole to parts thinking, wheras LP has the best of both worlds- strongly grammar based with plenty of translations, and not dry.

If I were you I would start with both and see how it goes. You can't do any harm and you will only learn more in the process- more latin, and more of what specificlaly works best for your family.

I am sort of using LP and Cambridge, but I must admit I havent picked up the Cambridge in a while- LP is just too good. But if we get bogged down in LP, it will be good to turn to Cambridge for a break, as the translations are all Latin to English, which will seem easy after LP.