Menu

Which Biology Program to use?

Hello,

I'm planning for next year and am stuck on the biology course.

First off, I am considering Apologia biology because 1) my son likes it and 2) If we do a co-op class, this is the course they all use.

or

I could use Prentice Hall (Miller/Levine) and use the virtual labs, possibly signing up through Kolbe Academy for the lesson plans and answer keys.

Any thoughts on these two?

If we chose the Apologia, would he be best served joining other homeschoolers in a co-op class twice a week? Is it worth the time away from home (we're co-oping with another family for history, plus we go to dance, voice, and acting classes each week....so staying home is always good if we can do it)

Sounds like you are plenty busy!! I've used Apologia Biology with my three oldest and have been very pleased.

With daughters #1 and #2, we cooped a lab that met every other week. They were able to do the experiments and dissections together which was of benefit (mainly because I probably wouldn't have done it at home). They had no difficulty reading and comprehending the rest of the material at home.

Daughter #3 is not a science-type person. She did the course, read through the labs but didn't actually do them, and feels that she learned the material quite well. I have had her take the quarterly exams so that she has additional review of the material.

Apologia covers the material well, and if your son likes it, that's a huge bonus! Much easier to motivate with material they enjoy.

My ds15 did the Apologia Biology at home this year. He read through the materials, took tests, did some labs, did all the dissections, and learned a lot! He enjoyed it, and would often say, "Mom, did you realize.......?" about something he read! So it can definitely be done, enjoyed, and learned well at home if that's the route you choose to go. There's a poster named Christine on here that has schedules on her blog for Apologia Sciences, Lightning Lit., Saxon maths, etc. Oh my, what a life AND time-saver that's been for me! DS will be doing the Apologia Chemistry next year, and I just printed out the schedule from Christine's blog! I recommend it, or something like it, to try to keep on track!

We use the Prentice Hall Miller/Levine text with the Kolbe syllabus, but we are not signed up for credit with them. I am very happy with the text, the questions, the schedule and the tests. My dd is starting to work through prep books for the SAT II Biology, and the course seems to have prepared her well.

The Virtual Lab CD is BORING. The early labs (we stopped using it) don't seem to have a lot of educational value - point and click. Unless you really don't want to mess with "real" labs, save your money. I got "Experiences in Biology" from Home Science Tools and picked some of the labs in there. There are also some doable labs in the text.

Also - you can purchase the actual text (and Lab CD) from the publisher for much less than from Kolbe. Kolbe will let you just buy the syllabus and answer key/online access from them, without the text.

hth

Carolyn

My ds used Apologia in a co-op type of setting. We've done their courses both in a once a week meeting type of group and we've done them on our own at home. I would say that both were equally effective. Our oversight academy offers Apologia Bio and Chem and usually Physics for the high school kids. These courses meet once a week. We did two courses with them and two here on our own. I really think either way is fine.

If you have the other co-op going and this would be in addition on a different day, I might try doing it just on your own. I know exactly what you mean about running around because your schedule sounds alot like ours. It is hard to get the other courses done in-between the run out to lessons, co-ops and other things that eat time. If you do Apologia bio at home, I'd get the kits from home training tools for the labs. They are great specimens. And, you can always look stuff up on the internet if you aren't really sure what "THAT-part- you're-are-looking-at" is.

Happy dissecting....ahhh the smell of formaldehyde in the morning....(no, seriously the specimens from home training aren't that stinky.)

My oldest two sons used Apologia Biology, and my third son is about to complete it as well. We do it at home without a co-op, and they all have done fine doing the labs by themselves (although the youngers usually gather round to watch the dissections!).

We strongly disliked every Apologia course we ever used. In contrast, we very much liked the content and rigor of ABeka science texts. It remains my preferred biology text. For physical science and chemistry, there are other products which we liked very much

The co-op classes of which I have heard all used Apologia.

These decisions are subjective for every family, so it's only my "2 pennies" ! :)

We're satisfied Kolbe customers, although we rarely follow any of the syllabi closely. We used the Levine book for about 5 weeks and bailed--continued with the Wile series. (We had used the two previous Wile textbks directed at jr. high students.)

Like any textbook based course, the print and formatting need to not irritate you. Some people on this board don't like Apologia's type going all across the page. On the other hand some old fogies like me are distracted by multiple type sizes in multiple colors and innumberable sidebars. If eyecatching typeface is used I want it to be for highlighting biology concepts, not to highlight educationese processes like "comparing", "drawing conclusions", etc.

I think Wile has a new bio. edition out this year; I was reading the first chapter online. It seems like he has responded to people who like his book generally but wish he'd cover more about evolution and the alternative classification system, even though it's not his professional viewpoint.

You didn't ask for other suggestions, but I think the Campbell bio. books are less busy than PH, if that is a criteria for you.

Thanks for the response.

So, if we did not join a co-op, should we buy a microscope?

Also, the community college has a lab course once a week. The student works on their own book at home and just does labs at the college. Has anyone done anything like this?

I think I'm the most concerned that there will be times we can't keep up with a class. I'm also concerned that without a class, he won't keep up (or stop to do the labs). There's so much to learn and do and so little time! I beginning to dread highschool!!! Sometimes I think he would learn more in traditional school....

My children have all done Apologia Biology with a group. I found using a group kept all of us on track, however, for one of my kids I needed some real flexibility due to other priorities. I was very upfront with the teacher that Jan-Feb would be challenging months with everything on our plate. She was quite understanding and even though the class has now ended my student is still playing catch up, which is no big deal. Attending class and weekly labs happened with or without being caught up on the reading and study guide questions.