Menu

ETC bk 3 post test question

A friend of mine is giving this test right now and there is a part where you dictate short sentences. Should the kids be able to spell the words correctly with no help?

Part of me says yes, but I know I tend to lean to the "expect too much side". :)

The students are K and 1st if that matters.

I just looked at the post test for ETC 3 and I don't have the teachers book to tell me what is supposed to be dictated. What are the sentences? If the sentences are made up of words from the book, I would say yes. I'm kinda shocked that ETC is dictating sentences in the post test when they never dictate a sentence in the workbook.

Honestly, I always skip the postests in the book.

I just gave this test to DS about an hour ago, and I did not expect him to spell it correctly. We went through the page after though to correct the spelling. DS is only 5, I am not expecting spelling to be totally correct since this is more of a phonics thing for him and not a spelling program, which we plan on starting in a few months.

Hope that helps!

I just looked at the post test for ETC 3 and I don't have the teachers book to tell me what is supposed to be dictated. What are the sentences? If the sentences are made up of words from the book, I would say yes. I'm kinda shocked that ETC is dictating sentences in the post test when they never dictate a sentence in the workbook.

Honestly, I always skip the postests in the book.

:iagree: I also am shocked that they would expect that without previous practice. We've never used the teacher manuals, so we've always just skipped that page. My ds just turned 6, we are about 1/4 of the way through book 4 right now and not doing those pages hasn't hurt his ability to move on at all. In fact, I kind of think that spelling really isn't that important till 2nd grade, so I don't dwell too much on it. But, in the ETC books, when the words are right there to copy, I expect perfect spelling and handwriting. I don't use another handwriting curriculum.

I've always been curious what that blank, lined page was for! ;)

We just finished ETC 3 last week (DD is 5.5 years old). All the words from the sentences are from the lessons in the book- so I think the child is expected to be able to spell each word correctly. DD missed 3 or 4 words. I just corrected them afterwards and explained the rule she'd missed. We moved right on to book 4 the next day since I am confident that she can read all the words, it's more difficult to spell them than to read them.

thanks everyone. I was kind of surprised too since they had not really been asked to spell the word from memory during the lessons. We are in book 3 now and I know my dd (and my friend's children who are taking the test today) can easily read the words and could spell them if you gave clues on the rules as they worked on it.

hmmmm....

I guess it's up to us!

thanks again!

We skip the dictation exercises. Even if DC know the rule to be able to read the sound, I wouldn't expect them to be able to spell all the words (not enough practice imo). The post-test in ETC is a stretch beyond what's been done in the book. We use it as a fun exercise, but not a test.