Menu

Designers Challenge Come to my blog and decorate my bedroom..

Calling all my WTM minds..I see your creativity in the lapbooks, scrapbooks, little things you create for school! So come to my blog today and suggest decorating tips for my very boring bedroom. I have been in a cave for 3 years and this winter is not helping. I need color, style, design ideas etc.......:confused:

PLEASE HELP

I am not going to be much help, but would suggest staying with an asian theme, but lightening it up. Maybe a green on the walls with black accents that way your bed won't have to change just the bedding. Large plan I must say tho, I love your furniture. I would start by deciding how much and what color(s) you want. Sorry not much help but good luck.

I would change the comforter. I'd probably go with something a little more contrasting like a print with blue,tan, beige, etc. Then I would do different lamps that coordinated with those colors.

As for wall art, I think you have the perfect set up to do something a little more modern. I'm thinking geometric patterns that would be in similar colors to your bedding.

Hey Classic Mom

I think you need a comforter with some color in it... maybe something in a shade of blue that reminded you of the ocean? and then either do Ralph Lauren's paint color called Canvas Nuetral (or canvas natural...) which is a light colored wheat that makes me think of grasslands by the beach.

I love your furniture, good choices!

maybe the long hallway in your bedroom could have some family pictures, maybe 5 or 6 framed pictures of the family.

the alcoves.. needs some seating... couldn't tell really how much room you have to work with... they look like good reading nooks to me.. maybe some built in window seats? Or some nice wicker chairs, to add to the grown-up sophisticated beach feeling?

I'm sure you are going to get some great ideas here, can't wait to hear them all!

BonAmy

If I was going to redecorate a room like the one you have I would first start with a color scheme. You furniture already sort of dictates a style. Obviously you won't be going country or ultra-modern;). You furniture is transitional style which is sort of like a modern and uncluttered twist on traditional.

So, you need to select an inspiration piece first. Bring your laptop (if you have one) into the room and go to All Posters. Browse the site until you find a piece of art that you absolutely love and would look great hanging over the bed.

Now that you have that inspiration piece, pull out three colors from the art work: a semi-neutral color for most of the walls (I like to paint the wall the bed is on a darker shade of the same color), a second color for the comforter, and a third color to use as an accent (think throw pillows and those reading chairs in the nooks).

You are now all set to shop. Go to Lowes or Home Depot first and pick up paint samples in your colors. Take the paint samples shopping with you so you can see if the items you're considering at the stores are really the colors you need.

Add some small silver picture frames and some plantlife to the bedside stands, draperies that match the wall color in the nooks, and an interesting black table between the two reading chairs you will be putting in front of the nook. The black from the headboard will be repeated around the room this way.

Splurge on throw pillows on the bed in wonderfully textured fabics like silks and linens, and be sure to drape a luscious throw over the end of the bed or across one of the chairs (something that not only looks inviting, but feels wonderful).

On top of the armoire, place a decorative plate in a stand with trailing greenery at its base or a wooden or silver bird cage filled with greenery that trails out of it and down one of the sides. You need some greenery in the room to breathe life into it and to soften the hard lines of the furniture.

Let us know how it turns out.:)

Lisa

CONTRAST!!! Your bed blends too much. You need major contrast against the black on the bed. Lighter color against the black then whatever color you use for the bed go lighter than that but on the same color scheme. So if you go with green for bedspread then go with light green on the walls. For pictures go with black matte with an asian picture to touch on the fact that your bed is black. Tie it in.

Can you paint your furniture? If not then I would go with lighter color on walls that is lighter than your furniture (I am talking about the dresser against the one wall almost like an enclove).

I am not a decorator but when I looked at your room it screams contrast to me.

If I repeated anybody's comments then I apologized. I didn't read anybody's replies as I wanted to be genuine on my comments. Now I am going to read the comments.

Have fun decorating!

Holly