Menu

WWE? What Grammar Program works well with this?

txchick

Hi, Im considering ordering SWB's New book as well as WWE for my 10 year old son. He has not had any formal writing and barely any narration/dictation/copywork so I would need to start him easy. Not sure If we can begin in level 2. He has always written slowly/carefully...so I guess the large lines are fine for him still. I do prefer he writes smaller.

What is a good program to accompany it? I have Junior Analytical Grammar but I was not going to start him on that until about 5th grade. Any suggestions. FLL would be way too much of the same as wwe...from what Ive seen. ( think I have a copy here too. LOL)

should I just use an english workbook such as Seton? I could get BJU however its expensive and quite involved. We could also use Lifepac english? Or Rod and Staff 3(would be challenging for him, I think.)

Thanks so much.

btw. My husband may be teaching from his bedside(he's disabled) since Im working ft. It must be very little teacher prep.

Donna

I would like to suggest First Language Lessons by SWB. It is such a nice approach to Grammar, gentle, and as the lessons are scripted needs very little (next to none) teacher prep. I am not familiar with the FLL 3, but I think you might be best to start at the beginining (the FLL 1 and 2 in one book) you can always go quickly through it and then go into FLL 3.

You would probably want the student workbooks with WWE and FLL to reduce prep work as well....that way it really "lays it all out" for you!

Hope that helps

yes, i actually agree that FLL would be the way to go. i have all 4 levels and am also using WWE. I think they really are designed to go hand-in-hand. There might be some repetitive things with regards to copywork and such, but really the FLL is more parts of speech and learninng how to put the sentence together and the WWE will be more of the comprehension, narration, and writing skills. If you find that the lessons are the same thing on any given day, you could always skip one here and there. but as far as something that requires no teacher prep, this is it. and it's a huge part of why i love it. i also think it's really great for kids that are behind and need to build a good foundation. in no way does it make them feel less, but it teaches them to follow simple steps to get stronger.

I saw it this weekend at our homeschool convention and fell in love with it!:party: It's called Growing with Grammar. The author is just coming out with grade 7; it will be available May 1. Assuming your son is probably in grade 5 or so, you can check out sample pages on their website of the same name. It's worth checking out!