Menu

How does this logic sequence sound?

Mommy7

Next year will be the first time we have done any logic. My dd will be 13 and in 7th. Here are my thoughts:

7th: Thinking Toolbox; then Fallacy Detective

8th: Art of Argument

9th: Introductory Logic

10th: Intermediate Logic

Then, possibly:

11th: Traditional Logic I

12th: Traditional Logic II

Does that sound good? Do you think it is necessary to do both IL and TL? I may just stop with IL.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks so much!!! It helps so much to have all you ladies to consult! :)

I don't really care too much about the rhetoric thing with this particular child. (she said, ducking for cover!) ;)

I don't have any thoughts as this is something I have not covered with my kids except Philosophy for Kids.

Here's what I'm planning for ds, soon to be in 8th grade, just because I already have these materials.

Fallacy Detective

Art of Argument

Traditional Logic I w/ DVD

Traditional Logic II w/ DVD

I also have both Introductory Logic I and II but I'll be trying out the sequence above.

Lyn

I haven't used Art of Argument, just examined the TOC and sample online. But, I think it basically covers the same material as Fallacy Detective (Informal logic/fallacies).

I would give considerable thought to choosing Traditional Logic over the Introductory - not because *I* said so, but because the general consensus on the high school board has said so for years. I chose not to listen this year, because Introductory *looks* easier. It basically has more white space - but it is very sparse in its explanations, and there is not much practice or review. We didn't finish the book.

There have been several threads on the high school board in recent weeks if you are interested in reading others' thoughts.

Blessings~

I think this plan sounds fine. I believe someone just recently said that the new WTM recommends TL rather than IL, but I'm not sure why.

From conversations of past years, it was explained to me by folks who understand the study of logic far better than I that IL and TL cover different types of logical thinking processes, so to me, it seems that there is some merit in covering both. I believe that the IL texts are the ones more related to mathematical thinking, although I could be wrong about that.

My older son began IL and I wasn't all that pleased with the tone or some of the examples. While I am Christian, I just didn't really appreciate the very particular Protestant viewpoint of some of them. He didn't mind it at all, however, and completed the text. I then switched him over to TL, hoping that it would be more balanced, but there were some of the same concerns with it. I think I've finally made peace with using such examples and just talking about them, as there don't seem to be many texts out there for middle school logic that are completely balanced in their approach. I guess one has to adopt some sort of worldview from which to begin a discussion....

I decided that it would be better to introduce my younger son to the study of logic through doing informal logic first. He did Mind Benders this year, for fifth grade. Next year, he'll do Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective for sixth grade.

I plan to have him do Intro logic in seventh grade and Intermediate in eighth.

When my older son did Intro Logic, it just seemed simpler to follow than the TL text. Now, that might have just been that particular child, but I tend to think that TL is better suited for a child who is a little older, so I'm saving TL I and II for ninth and tenth grade.

I'm not hurrying through them and trying to do one each semester because I'd rather concentrate on other things, which just doesn't leave time for lengthy logic studies each day.

I've looked a little at Art of Argument, but some others here who have actually used it had problems with lots of errors in the text. You might be able to find some of their posts about it by doing a search. Because I've heard this about other products from this company, too, I'm tending to shy away from it right now.... I'm going to try their Spanish programming this year, as well as their Greek, so I'll get to see what I think of using their products going forward....

I'm happy to see this thread! Regena, thanks for your info.!

My ds will be in 10th, but has only worked a few Mind Benders, and did no logic this year, in 9th. Should I start him in Thinking Toolbox or the Fallacy Detective, or just start with TL1? Is TT needed, or just FD? (I'am asking that last question more for my dd who will be in 7th grade next year and is doing the 3 book Dandy Lion series to get introduced to Logic.)

Some kind folks here a while back told me that they thought I could easily do Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective each in a semester. They thought that they complimented each other well, so that's why I plan on using both of them next year.

You certainly don't need to go in the order I'm doing. It just made sense to me, which is why I'm trying it this time around....