Menu

MOH with or without WP? HELP!

Pip

I will be doing MOH 1 with my dd's, ages 11 and 9, next year. I know WP uses the book as it's spine. I really like the looks of WP, and, while I can do the library and used books, it will still be pricey. Is it worth doing to enhance MOH or not? I have not seen the Guide for WP, so I would be buying sight unseen. They will not be at our convention. I just hear such wonderful things about their program.

Thanks,

Ann

We enjoyed using MOH without any other programs. There is a lot there to keep a student busy and one can easily add to it. We've put on a Living History Museum using MOH 2 and MOH 3, we do book reports, research of a famous person and making a cool notebook presentation - complete with flag, timeline, index, etc.

I will be doing MOH 1 with my dd's, ages 11 and 9, next year. I know WP uses the book as it's spine. I really like the looks of WP, and, while I can do the library and used books, it will still be pricey. Is it worth doing to enhance MOH or not? I have not seen the Guide for WP, so I would be buying sight unseen. They will not be at our convention. I just hear such wonderful things about their program.

Thanks,

Ann

Ann,

What you are you used to doing, or how much time do you normally spend per week? QAW by WP has three co-spines, and I have heard people say the reading schedule is pretty heavy. Though I know some people have lightened it by dropping one of the spines.

Have you looked into Illuminations? It is an LA/Literature package to go with MOH.

There is also a ton of stuff in the yahoo group files that coordinate various books with MOH.

Heather

I wrestle with this very issue! We've used MOH with the WP program, mostly because we've used WP in the past and I've gotten spoiled by the schedules. I like having the read alouds, notebook pages, and activities scheduled for me. One thing that WP does that can be considered good and bad is that they group the MOH lessons in unit studies by civilization - Egypt, judges/kings of Israel, Greece, etc. This appeals to me because we like unit studies. The difficult thing is that you can't always use the quizzes/review sheets in MOH which is a big draw for me.

MOH is a great program on its own. I like the simplicity of using MOH on its own and just adding in some extra books. I think for me, though, my need for a schedule will win out, and we will continue with QMA next year. To save on expenses, I do just buy the guides and WP exclusives from them and use the library or buy books used.

If you have any more questions about the WP program or organization, send me a pm!

Edited by sandra in va

I will check out Illuminations. I did order the craft cd for MOH from Rainbow. It is supposed to have projects and notebook pages. I'll do the first year of MOH and see how it goes. I also do belong to the yahoo group. I just haven't explored all the options there.

I think my main concern is with my 11 yo. we should be done with volumes I-III before the final volume of MOH comes out. I would like to move her into History Odyssey for high school. My oldest is doing the final 2 volumes of Level 2 to prepare for the high school program and I am wondering if MOH will prepare my middle dd for the high school HO program.

Also, while my dc have an overview of American history, we haven't covered it per se. My oldest will get some with HO before high school, and I will have time to cover it with my youngest before high school, but my middle one will have to wait until it is covered in HO high school.

Ann,

What you are you used to doing, or how much time do you normally spend per week? QAW by WP has three co-spines, and I have heard people say the reading schedule is pretty heavy. Though I know some people have lightened it by dropping one of the spines.

Have you looked into Illuminations? It is an LA/Literature package to go with MOH.

There is also a ton of stuff in the yahoo group files that coordinate various books with MOH.

Heather

Heather,

Do I need to use the LA portion of Illuminations, or can I just use the literature? I don't really want to change any of our LA materials, but have been looking for Literature.

Do you know when the other volumes will be released?

Heather,

Do I need to use the LA portion of Illuminations, or can I just use the literature? I don't really want to change any of our LA materials, but have been looking for Literature.

Do you know when the other volumes will be released?

You can just use the literature, and apparently they have been busy because volumes 2 and 3 Illuminations are supposed to be released this fall. Apparently they aren't bata testing the rest, but going straight to production. Here is the sample. They don't have guides, literature analysis and such for every book read, so you might want to join the yahoo group and ask which books (there is probably a list in the files) or e-mail someone at BIP to make sure there are enough to make it worth it for you.

Also the price will increase when they put out the final, polished product.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...
You can just use the literature, and apparently they have been busy because volumes 2 and 3 Illuminations are supposed to be released this fall. Apparently they aren't bata testing the rest, but going straight to production. Here is the sample. They don't have guides, literature analysis and such for every book read, so you might want to join the yahoo group and ask which books (there is probably a list in the files) or e-mail someone at BIP to make sure there are enough to make it worth it for you.

Also the price will increase when they put out the final, polished product.

Heather

Thanks for the info, Heather. I did some more checking, and it looks like the cost is going to be out of my price range once it's out of Beta. Back to the drawing board...

Thanks for the info, Heather. I did some more checking, and it looks like the cost is going to be out of my price range once it's out of Beta. Back to the drawing board...

Yes, I have already e-mailed Maggie to let her know some people have contacted me about the cost, and how it is more they can afford. You are not the first one. I actually am quite shocked, because it is more than the original price discussed, which I thought was a little expensive. I really think that for a guide that more or less coordinates other pieces that you still have to buy separately....:blink: <- that demonstrates where I am at right now.

I won't be able to afford it either. I could manage the first volume while it is in bata, but she recently said the other volumes won't hit bata but go straight to full production. No way I can afford full price for something I would only use a few pieces off (mostly the family literature guides and the copywork).

Heather

Yes, I have already e-mailed Maggie to let her know some people have contacted me about the cost, and how it is more they can afford. You are not the first one. I actually am quite shocked, because it is more than the original price discussed, which I thought was a little expensive. I really think that for a guide that more or less coordinates other pieces that you still have to buy separately....:blink: <- that demonstrates where I am at right now.

I won't be able to afford it either. I could manage the first volume while it is in bata, but she recently said the other volumes won't hit bata but go straight to full production. No way I can afford full price for something I would only use a few pieces off (mostly the family literature guides and the copywork).

Heather

I'm gald to hear I'm not the only one :001_huh: by the price. Add in the cost of printing it out (I don't work very well on screen) and buying any books and it's just not feasable for me.

If you hear of any pricing changes, I'd love to know.